BACK UP SAT NAV FOR LESS THAN £4

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

BIOMAN

BACK UP SAT NAV FOR LESS THAN £4

Postby BIOMAN » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Two years ago I joined the SKCC UK tour. It was suggested that I get to grips with itn files and load them onto a Sat Nav. Well I went against the norm (for SKCC ers) and instead of going for a TOM TOM went for a Garmin. That first year I didn't realise how the routes worked but just about managed to get round. (Fantastic Route Fantastic People) Didn't realise that my "SAT NAV HAD THE ODD DODGY WAYPOINT" :D :D :D :D . TOM TOM's don't.
Anyway 2014 saw Mr & Mrs Bioman venture on a Euroblat. The garmin worked a treat and all was just about silky smooth apart from the Garmin's odd dodgy way point :lol: :lol: :lol: Tom Tom's don@t have them.
So this weekend my Sat Nav decided to freeze (well it was cold). As Sunday was such a warm day :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought I would take a couple of new Kit Car Pals on the day "2" 2013 UK road trip, but with a dodgy SatNav thought it best to get a plan B.
Plan B was to download OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation a FREE android application which basically is a fully operational Sat Nav but more importantly accepts itn's. So if my Garmin died I would have an alternative.
The good news is the garmin lives but the even better news is the OSMAND app worked a treat too.
To get it to work does have a few glitches but today I have tested it and I'll be using it as a back up on this years Eurotrip. You can get a free version to test at the Google Play site it includes all UK maps. If you require the European maps you'll have to part with just under £4. For you Posh people with an I-Phone they have an app for you too :D .
The free edition for Android can be found here https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... net.osmand .
As some of you know I was a polisher before I became an SKCC er but here I am last Sunday in the heat leading two other Westfields. https://youtu.be/b1XgLsrmgVU How times change :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
I'm not suggesting that this is an alternative to a Satnav but it is a great back up for almost nothing.
If I can be of any help please ask.
Can't wait for MAY sooooooooo excited. Any more tasters Mark

andyf

Re: BACK UP SAT NAV FOR LESS THAN £4

Postby andyf » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Excellent find! Ican't afford to go buying a tom tom at the moment and have been looking for a free sat nav app that accepts itn files :D
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

PaddyX21

Postby PaddyX21 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:05 am

andyf wrote:Excellent find! Ican't afford to go buying a tom tom at the moment and have been looking for a free sat nav app that accepts itn files :D

^This

Nice one :)
Nova Mk2 - 2.5 Subaru engined lunacy
MG Midget 1500 - broken gearbox!

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:35 pm

well done Richard.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:33 pm

Good tip, shame it was a wet run
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

David T

Postby David T » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Looks good.

I see it is based on Open Street Map, so the mapping data is not commercially produced and is only as good as what the public contributes. I think Navmii is the same. That said I've not seen any issues when I've used Navmii in the UK and free is always good (if not too many ads).

I'd be interested to try this new one. Are the Tom Tom ITN format itinerary files supported? If so, this could be a good replacement for my Co-Pilot, for which I have to convert the ITN files into TRP files on the PC first. No major issue, but even better if I could receive an ITN file by email and import it to the Sat Nav all within the phone, especially when away from home on a road trip.

BIOMAN

Postby BIOMAN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:51 pm

David T wrote:Looks good.

I see it is based on Open Street Map, so the mapping data is not commercially produced and is only as good as what the public contributes. I think Navmii is the same. That said I've not seen any issues when I've used Navmii in the UK and free is always good (if not too many ads).

I'd be interested to try this new one. Are the Tom Tom ITN format itinerary files supported? If so, this could be a good replacement for my Co-Pilot, for which I have to convert the ITN files into TRP files on the PC first. No major issue, but even better if I could receive an ITN file by email and import it to the Sat Nav all within the phone, especially when away from home on a road trip.

Unfortunately you will have to import the itn files into Tyre or something similar and convert the file into .gpx (garmin exchange files). You will also have to after installing osmand make a folder named "tracks folder" all low case in the programs main folder. Place the .gpx files in there and you can then look them up in "my places" main menu. As I said in my post, it may not be a replacement for a satnav but it will be a good back up on a road trip. Not seen one advert over the last 6 days of using and although it takes a bit of getting used to I think its worth the download. I have upgraded from the free to the + version and have all the maps for France. Hope you find this of use?

David T

Postby David T » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks. Thats clear.

andyf

Postby andyf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 am

There's an online service http://www.poieditor.com/poi_convert/itn-to-gpx/ that converts itn files to gpx....
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:07 am

Great tip and just downloaded it however as mentioned above, I do not think there are many post codes in it. Each one I entered was not there. Basically one needs to use good old fashioned addresses.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”