Ford Sierra aficionados and super-geeks on diff ratios

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

AshleyO

Ford Sierra aficionados and super-geeks on diff ratios

Postby AshleyO » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:50 pm

I have used a Ford Sierra Sapphire GL 4 door saloon 1,769cc engine
I now need to know the diff ratio
I know the original engine number (engine now in a bin somewhere!)
Anyone got an idea where I would get this from
Many thanks in advance

ASHLEY

DJ.

Re: Ford Sierra aficionados and super-geeks on diff ratios

Postby DJ. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:47 pm

I would think it is a 3.92. It's one of the lower powered engines and a heavy car.

David T

Postby David T » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:10 pm

There should (could still) be an ali tag on one of the diff rear casing bolts. This has details that can be decoded on the web. As Duncan says, most likely the 3.92 that I and many others have. Do you know which one you would like/need?

kenjohn

Postby kenjohn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:18 pm

I sold two Sierra diffs on eBay last year. When I took the rear cover off to check the teeth for wear, the ratio was written on the main gear of both of them.
John

AshleyO

Postby AshleyO » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 pm

David T wrote:There should (could still) be an ali tag on one of the diff rear casing bolts. This has details that can be decoded on the web. As Duncan says, most likely the 3.92 that I and many others have. Do you know which one you would like/need?

THanks for this. There is indeed a tag and I have tried to clean and read it tonight. I've even taken photos and magnified them, trying to make some sense, but they really are faded too much. From web research, it would seem that 3.92 is the fave. I will try this on the speedo calibration and see if its anywhere near the GPS speeds to ensure Mr IVA is happy

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:50 am

AshleyO wrote:From web research, it would seem that 3.92 is the fave. I will try this on the speedo calibration and see if its anywhere near the GPS speeds to ensure Mr IVA is happy

You generally get a chance to calibrate the speedo on the day, if you can get to the back of the speedo. I left mine loose in the dash as it was in the "safe zone" the other side of the steering wheel.

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 am

My orignial diff came from an '88 Sierra 1.6 Sapphire and was a 3.62 Now this is where it gets interesting the Ford Diffs of tht era are 7" casings but the early ones have 6.5" internals so when I came to put a 3.92 ATB LSD inside it wouldn't fit. Ended up getting a repalcement case. Apparently Road & Race have a lot of these diffs (6.5" int) on the floor at there workshop and can't give them away. All Open diffs.

Hope that helps?

........Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:15 pm

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

AshleyO

Postby AshleyO » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 am

so we THINK it is 3.36 but tonight my daughter is going to count 100 turns of the rear wheel whilst I count how many turns of the propshaft that equates to. Then we have the real answer for sure. Nothing better than the hard way!

Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:14 am

AshleyO wrote:so we THINK it is 3.36 but tonight my daughter is going to count 100 turns of the rear wheel whilst I count how many turns of the propshaft that equates to. Then we have the real answer for sure. Nothing better than the hard way!

I'd be surprised if its 3.36. Looking forward to the answer now!!
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”