Vehicle tracking ???

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Vehicle tracking ???

Postby locost220 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Wanted to ask people opinion on that is goof bad etc,
i know quite a few cars have a tracker type devise fitted, some of these may be linked to commercial account you may have for your companies, but i am looking for recommendations for individual system that will also work within a garage/underground, alert me to movement of the vehicle and or assist locating the vehicle if noticed missing.
ideally i would like a DIY instantiation or may just had to time the fitment correctly by a professional as I finish the car off in a few months, most seem to work of SIM cards.
the previous one i had used to be pay as you go and as car was in a garage would keep on finding and loosing the signal and send a text every time and just eat the credit on the card.
so your thoughts and experience please.
Rich
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

andyf

Re: Vehicle tracking ???

Postby andyf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 pm

I think it's a good idea but haven't done anything about it yet. There is a post about it on pistonheads that I think you'll find interesting
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 pm

I was looking in to this as Rich, someone from work, his son fits trackers etc. I found that the one he said was good involved a contract of sorts, via a sim card. I was going to go pay as you go then you would need a good data package because of what you said. I would still be interested in what you find out, I just tried to make my car hard to nick but removable steering wheel and a wheel lock etc, when leaving the car unattended.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 pm

locost220 wrote:...that will also work within a garage / underground...

At the risk of stating the obvious, you probabaly don’t want one that solely relies on GPS then.

Also theses tend to be the trackers that attract monthly fees I think.

So a VHF type tracker is probabaly better bet, maybe consider a hybrid of GPS and VHF, so you have some dualality / redundancy built in.

I wouldn’t have thought VHF attracts a monthly fee either and less juicy on the battery too, but I could be wrong on that.

A quick Google shows that tracker.co.uk use VHF.

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Rexholme wrote:I wouldn’t have thought VHF attracts a monthly fee

Looks like I’m wrong on that one. Tracker for example charges a £149 annual subscription.

steve m

Postby steve m » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:21 am

I will ask our tracker guy at work when hes next in, as all our cars and vans are tracked, and we only keep the vehicles for 3 months

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”