Offer on Tiger has any one used PayPal

Items for Sale or that are wanted: Please edit posts once items are sold / withdrawn.

Moderator: Contaminated

Kegco

Offer on Tiger has any one used PayPal

Postby Kegco » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 pm

My Tiger has been up for sale on EBay, Facebook and Pistonheads
I’ve had a couple of stupid offers but just had a offer, for full asking price, the person doesn’t want to look at the car, as his working away on a ship, it looks like he lives in France, but he said as soon as I give him PayPal details he will pay me and arrange for a courier to pick up the car.
Does this sound a bit odd to you
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

b33fy

Re: Offer on Tiger has any one used PayPal

Postby b33fy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Don’t bother Kev.. who in their right mind would do that? (except when I bought swmbos Honda :roll: :lol:)
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:20 pm

Step away - standard scam.

Not quite sure how it works but they seem to pay the money to PayPal, get the car and then you find there is no actual funds in your Paypal account - something like that.

https://www.paypal.com/bs/webapps/mpp/s ... mmon-scams

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:09 pm

nelmo wrote:Step away - standard scam.

Not quite sure how it works but they seem to pay the money to PayPal, get the car and then you find there is no actual funds in your Paypal account - something like that.

https://www.paypal.com/bs/webapps/mpp/s ... mmon-scams

[quote="nelmo"]Step away - standard scam.

Not quite sure how it works but they seem to pay the money to PayPal, get the car and then you find there is no actual funds in your Paypal account - something like that

But surely you wouldn’t let them have the car until the payment is in your bank, but then I have heard that eBay could hold on to the money for 21days but this is PayPal direct not through eBay
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:12 pm

b33fy wrote:Don’t bother Kev.. who in their right mind would do that? (except when I bought swmbos Honda :roll: :lol:)

And how did that go for you
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:01 am

I have never had an issues with PayPal. Make him pay now and wait for the funds to clear, then transfer the funds to your bank account. If this is your first transaction then it could take a few days to leave PayPal and go into your account. Take the money and tell the guy to pick it up in two weeks time when funds have cleared.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:00 am

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:12 am

Kegco wrote:
b33fy wrote:Don’t bother Kev.. who in their right mind would do that? (except when I bought swmbos Honda :roll: :lol:)

And how did that go for you

All good eventually Kev.

Avoid buyers like that, heard about it previously, no funds to back up the PayPal transfer.

Just to add they use your PayPal email to make you think funds have been transferred when they haven’t. Then they’ll ask you to transfer some real money directly to the agent for shipping.
Last edited by b33fy on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 am

Not cars but I’ve sold a few things online where the buyer has paid without seeing first - I’ve always asked them to use the “pay a friend” option as I’ve always thought that meant there was absolutely no come back via the PayPal route.

Once it’s in the PayPal account I transfer it to my bank account and then as far as I can see it’s a done deal - there’s no way a fraudster can fake my own bank balance is there?

Then they’ve still got to pick up the car because it’s unlikely that you’ll pack it in a crate I suspect!

Mind you, my caveat is that I am a bit out of touch with this kinda stuff :lol:

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:53 am

scam all day long.
Vaguely remember a similar one ( working on an oil rig or whatever ) when i was selling something large and of value, the standard of english was the 2nd flag ( after someone wanting to buy without seeing something that was 'ordinary' and not a 'must have 1 off').

You'll likely satisfy yourself that its fake when you start to ask about getting one of his pals to meet you to handover cash...and all variations of that theme, as then the excuses will start to really roll from his side.

Return to “For Sale Or Wanted”