Buying help/advice: MK Indy RESOLVED

Items for Sale or that are wanted: Please edit posts once items are sold / withdrawn.

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Buying help/advice: MK Indy RESOLVED

Postby Rexholme » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 pm

http://www.mksportscars.com/cars-for-sale/mk-indy-2016-zetec-2-0-yn16-dcf.html

Firstly, long shot, does anyone know this car?

I'm calling the guy tomorrow afternoon/evening. I have looked at some of the great buying advice on this site (e.g. the 'How To...' section) and using that as the basis to ask some initial questions. But do you experienced folk have any initial thoughts, observations or questions you reckon I should ask?

Thanks in advance!

S.
Last edited by Rexholme on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larkingabout

Re: Buying help/advice: MK Indy

Postby Larkingabout » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:55 am

Neil, is your man with MK Indy knowledge, no doubt he will pop his head over the parapet soon. Looks a nice car though if you like the stripped out look. At my age comfy armchairs for seats, windscreen and heater!!!
James
The man in the Red Coat

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Mike, is it a private sale or a sale from MK themselves? The selling price is top dollar for a 2L Zetec but not rediculous these days. Does it have any wet gear? If not that’s the thick end of £1000 so be aware. Tonneau cover, 1/2 doors, boot cover, tour bag....... the latter being nice to haves.

It has the right bits on it although the tyres are ditchfinders so take into account having to swap them out at some point. Also the bonnet catches are notorious for stretching in the heat and coming undone (ask me how I know!).

It’s an original Indy chassis (same as mine) so not the R or RR chassis. In the real world that makes no difference but some people like new things so you will have tyrekicker conversations in the future with people who “don’t” know better. Also make sure the top front wishbones are the latest MK ones as the old ones had poor geo and the steering wouldn’t self Centre. People used to frig the setup for IVA to get it to work. Looking at the pic I suspect they are the latest ones but just ask the seller.

Can’t tell from the ad if it runs ITB’s or has a plenum? Or which Omex ECU (600 or later is better and what I’d expect for the selling price) it has? The important thing here is how it runs, so a couple of questions I’d be asking in this space is;

Who mapped it?

Has it been rolling roaded? Where and is there a copy of the map included in the sale?

Is there a build file? Can You see it? As on a new plate it should be “as new” bits.

Is all documentation in place? Correct V5, All dates are correct?

If from MK does it have any warranty etc?

Drive it! 950 miles in 2 years isn’t always a good thing?! Things seize, brakes bind, battery degrades etc. None of which is insurmountable but is a pain and has to be dealt with.

All to be considered when negotiating the price?

Looks tidy though. Hope that helps Mike? Give me a shout if you have any questions or whatever?

Good hunting.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am

You legend. Thanks.

As far as I can work out, R chassis adds some round tube to the chassis (rather than all box) plus push rod front suspension; RR adds rose joints to wishbones. Is that right?

So more track/race orientated? Greater stiffness/torsion resilience? If so, I doubt I’ll notice - not like I have a racing career is it!

What do you find the support from MK like? Spares etc? They changed ownership a few years back I see, did that make a difference? I looked through their books on companies house and had a few concerns.

M.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 am

Nash has it covered.. my first impressions were it’s top dollar though quite a tidy car, some bits look right, wheels and front brakes are good. Looks like a single body on the inlet, I would expect itb’s at that price. Ditchfinders need swapping out as Nash said.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:51 pm

The general build quality is worth checking thoroughly, I could only see the one photo on my phone. How tidy is the engine bay, neat wiring, etc should all point towards a decent build with attention to detail, if obvious things look untidy, it could be an indication of other issues. All that said it is the right colour :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Mike, the R has some round tune but also more triangulation and yes inboard shocks, which alegidly prevents bump steer! I’ve never suffered it so can’t comment.

The RR is in all practical terms a single seater as there is next to no footwell on the passenger side and it is an out and out race chassis which can be used on the road.

I have never used the new MK company so can’t comment. There is a face ache page for them which would be worth finding. I did use the original company (Martin and Danny) and I personally never had anything but good service from them. I have heard a lot of comments to the contrary in its later years but I can only speak as I find.

I do believe the new company is trying to do a great job in a small market these days.

Anyway here is a link to my MK Indy review when it was Zetec powered. Lots of other videos of things MK Indy and what I do with it/ have done with it so fill yer boots.

https://youtu.be/qU2nincr4Qs

HTH’s...... Neil

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Firstly - it's the RIGHT colour :D . Next, I'd agree with the above, it is top dollar, but if well built (& it appears to be - ask if it was factory or owner built) then you're buying peace of mind.

I looks as if the inlet & exhaust are what comes on a crate engine, so ask what power it's making, stock was 130bhp, with ITBs, a four branch exhaust & an Omex ECU it should make 160 - 170, so while the actual numbers are not important, if it's only making 130, it's a lot of ££ to get the full potential, but only you can say how important that is.

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Fury1630 wrote:Firstly - it's the RIGHT colour :D . Next, I'd agree with the above, it is top dollar, but if well built (& it appears to be - ask if it was factory or owner built) then you're buying peace of mind.

I looks as if the inlet & exhaust are what comes on a crate engine, so ask what power it's making, stock was 130bhp, with ITBs, a four branch exhaust & an Omex ECU it should make 160 - 170, so while the actual numbers are not important, if it's only making 130, it's a lot of ££ to get the full potential, but only you can say how important that is.

Tony makes good points AND did I mention I have such an exhaust for sale that would help that Zetec breathe!!! #justsayin

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Guys - thank you so much for all the help.

I had the phone call. A very nice and honest Yorkshireman talked me through it and I have decided not to take it further

In short, to get it where I want it, it’s too much money and the provenance isn’t there for resale if needed.

If anyone is interested in it, PM me and i’ll tell you what I found out.

Return to “For Sale Or Wanted”