The Annual SKCC gathering - Tangmere

Here's a link to the main calendar - the Events detailed are SKCC Group oriented, this does NOT contain runs from the memebrs section!

Moderator: Contaminated

Larkingabout

Re: The Annual SKCC gathering - Tangmere

Postby Larkingabout » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:55 pm

A brilliant day out with some great roads and for the main good surfaces free of the dreaded potholes. Thanks again to Mark for organising the day, I know how much hard work goes into ensuring everyone has a good time. El Capitan I take my hat off to you. Great to see so many familiar faces, some with new steeds and just plain new faces. The weather was kind and very unseasonal - well done Mark again must have cost at least three virgins being sacrificed. Overall a wonderful day.
James
The man in the Red Coat

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Not many pictures from me, I was far too busy having a good time :)

Good to see most of the old faces (where were you Mattijs?) and some new.
Some nice shiny new cars too, "Two Kits Kenton" had a smaller and faster missile (or is it bird magnet?), SteveP brought his immaculate Megablade and Phil had his new Westfield. Always good to see more yellow cars.

The Edenbridge to Chalet run was plagued with mobile chicanes in the form of a tractor and a Micra, but the roads were nice, and there were plenty of interesting cars around :D

We pretty much filled the Chalet car park, good breakfast served quickly and plenty of time to inspect the new cars.

We were luckier with the traffic on the second leg, and some really nice West Sussex roads brought us to Tangmere in no time. The steep hill near Goodwood reminded me of a time many years ago when I was driving my Elan to a track day with my father in the passenger seat and carried too much speed into the left hander at the top. The tale stepped out, fortunately I caught it, and my father said "Don't prang it before you get there!"

I was really impressed with Tangmere, they had reserved parking, Mark had negotiated a discount and the guys there were very knowledgeable. Working on a Lightning sounds a lot worse than servicing a Seven as apparently you have to lock wire bolts in place one handed while only being able to see what you are doing in a mirror :o

Great company, and banter as always. Sorry I can't make the Euro Road trip, but maybe we can have a shorter one as proposed by Rob.

For those who didn't make it, remember, there's still plenty of time to get out on some runs this year :)
Attachments
tangmere3.jpg
tangmere3.jpg (395.14 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
tangmere2.jpg
tangmere2.jpg (398.38 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
tangmere1.jpg
tangmere1.jpg (473.4 KiB) Viewed 8498 times

kenton

Postby kenton » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:12 pm

What a fab day
First blat in the new kit. There was a large number of kits awaiting when we arrived at Edenbridge, some of the usual bunch and a few new ones. Good to see Mike out, :D . An interesting run to the Chalet, somehow despite heading off first managed to arrive after the main pack :? I'm sure someone sliped in a few extra miles for Mr B and myself. As usual a hearty breakfast and plenty of banter was the order of the day. Breakfast down we made our way to Tangmere and arrived en mass. An interesting aviation museum with plenty of machinery to admire and try to imagine what it was like for those brave folk who took to the skies. Overall a great day out, Thanks Mark, a job well done.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks mark for organising today, it was a great day out. Nice to catch up with everyone and see some new cars and new faces.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Really enjoyed it apart from my starter failing (again). The drive to the Chalet was particularly exciting with 4" deep mud & flocks of pheasants & grouses (grousii?) :roll: .
Newlands
IMGP9905.JPG

Parked up under the Harriers
IMGP9940.JPG

Anyone name any other jet aircraft made of WOOD? (it's a Sea Venom)
IMGP9954.JPG

World speed record breaking Hunter - see the finish on that - you can hardly see any rivet heads.
IMGP9956.JPG

RJ Mitchell & the Spitfire prototype replica - interesting to note that it's always shown this shade of blue, but no-one actually knows what colour it was, there are no records & the only photos are black & white. Some reports say "aquamarine" some say silver.
IMGP9958.JPG

Anyone notice this picture by the NAAFI......
IMGP9962.JPG

........... that's ME that is!
IMGP9962 Cut.jpg
IMGP9962 Cut.jpg (177.05 KiB) Viewed 8466 times

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 am

Great to get out yesterday, as I have not done enough SKCC runs recently and so met some new and old mates. Some very cool new cars and Tangmere was very interesting. But the to here about a very special build has me waiting to see it with anticipation 8-)

Colin P

Postby Colin P » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:45 am

Really good day , well attended and the weather held up. Thanks Mark for arranging.
Attachments
20160918_111513.jpg

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Really good day out!
Good to see so many regular faces and some new ones too. Nice, shiny new cars from Kenton and Phil too. Kenton's new V8 obviously too quick for the local wildlife to take avoiding action :lol:
Top breakfast as usual. Didn't have to worry about the weather as Mark was there - so sunshine at breakfast followed by more sun & blue skies in Tangmere. Many thanks for organising it Mr G.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

dray13dad

Postby dray13dad » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks Mark for sorting this weekend we had a great day with all. Was good to get the car out for a change seems we have a love hate relationship love driving hate working on it.So think we need to look for something newer now.
Had satnav probs so did my best to hang on to Steve ( sorry if I held you up) BUT Was fun to hear he's going side ways your not going to do that, no dear but going to have a dam try!
Guess the locals on the back roads must have worried seeing 30 odd sevens running though but least they still waved when we came though (or was that shaking their fists at us for waking them up).
As said many many thanks and till the next time I get out enjoy your driving.

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Great day out, thanks for organising Mark and great to be back with you chaps!
9 is more than a number

Return to “Calendar for Group Events”