'K' = Kaleidoscope

Details of how to get involved with this year long bit of fun! Note, this is for everyone - not just 'expert photographers'

Moderator: Contaminated

love the creativity - vote pls........

11%
44%
44%

Total votes: 36

greenwoo
Site Admin

'K' = Kaleidoscope

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 pm

a thing of many colours, so how creative can you get my multi coloured friends?
OK This goes for ALL threads.
This is a competition so keep the banter at a minimum. We want to see a pic + a description / reason behind the pic, others are free to comment within the bounds of sense.

smokey mow

Re: 'K' = Kaleidoscope

Postby smokey mow » Sat May 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Anyone else been struggling to think up something good for in here? This is the only catagory where I've been scratching my head a bit, I could have cheated and used photoshop or one of the many free bits of kaleidoscope software available but I'm not one to mess with my photos other than for a tweek of the colours or a crop.

Anyhow having some time to kill this morning while getting the car ready for Snetterton tomorrow I thought I'd have a play with the camera to see what I can come up with, and here's my first attempt (of about 100 frames!!!). The effect is what happens when you zoom out with the camera set on a slow shutter speed

Mark

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat May 28, 2011 4:23 pm

bloody hell thats clever, 'K' as a pig to think of a category and Neil suggested Kaleidoscope - had to admit i hadnt a clue what i was going to be gunning for.......but as a simple 'user' i wouldnt have come up with this. well done!

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Sat May 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Very clever , like it :D Slow down at this rate your gonna win every category :D
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

smokey mow

Postby smokey mow » Sat May 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Rob E wrote:Very clever , like it :D Slow down at this rate your gonna win every category :D

You're safe, I live nowhere near Goodwood, The Downs or The Thames :D :D so I'm going to have to be inventive for them. I'm just trying to get a picture for every catagory, I'm not worried about winning :roll:
Mark

Red27

Postby Red27 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

Nice one. I've tried to do it a few times when taking photos of on track action, but never been overly successful as the shutter speed hasn't been slow enough for it to work as well as that. Guess you stuck your camera on a tripod, hand wall, or similar to get the "underlying" image sharp. I think what makes it is the background though, the halo of light across the top of the trees looks spectacular.
Linda

"Gilles was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing" - Jody Scheckter

smokey mow

Postby smokey mow » Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Red27 wrote:Nice one. I've tried to do it a few times when taking photos of on track action, but never been overly successful as the shutter speed hasn't been slow enough for it to work as well as that. Guess you stuck your camera on a tripod, hand wall, or similar to get the "underlying" image sharp. I think what makes it is the background though, the halo of light across the top of the trees looks spectacular.

I could see it being very difficult to get that effect with a moving vehicle. I did have use a tripod as it was a 1 second exposure. To get the underlying image I had to hold the frame for the first half of the exposure and only zoom for the second half, otherwise everything ends up blurred. It's also important to ensure that you're still zooming out when the shutter closes, if you reach the end of the zoom range before then you end up with a second larger ghost image of the car.
Mark

Pistol

Postby Pistol » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Smokey, Good to meet you at Snetterton ( I was the guy with the following of kids! :D )and wow what a picture, you keep going like his and I'll have to see how we can get you banned, banned I say :D :D .

Top picy taking! I've said it before and will say it again, this is a fanstic idea/reaosn for getting the kit out.

smokey mow

Postby smokey mow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Pistol wrote:Smokey, Good to meet you at Snetterton ( I was the guy with the following of kids! :D )and wow what a picture, you keep going like his and I'll have to see how we can get you banned, banned I say :D :D .

Top picy taking! I've said it before and will say it again, this is a fanstic idea/reaosn for getting the kit out.

Ah yes 8-) good to meet you at last. I bumped into several new faces that day ;)

Thanks for the comments on the picture, you can't ban me, it's your fault that I joined here in the first place :lol: I was thinking we'll have to do an Essex run at some point and bag a few more shots. I need to get a picture for "N" :D
Mark

Mouldy

Postby Mouldy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 am

Was going to do the same as Smokey but that would never do would it?!?! So tried something completly different then zooming and something Ive never done before. Not altogether certain its worked to be honest!!!!

Last edited by Mouldy on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SKCC Photo Comptetition 2011”