Biggin Hill Heritage Hanger

Inspire the rest of us! A place to pop a note / blog of your travels, a short desciption with a photo would be perfect.

Moderator: Contaminated

scotty

Re: Biggin Hill Heritage Hanger

Postby scotty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:05 pm

it always winds me up abit when they say"this actual plane flew at such and such battle"maybe one plate did or a mirror! they should make more new ones theres the cash in it now.i live behind detling show ground and right under the flight path they use in and out so see them often too great to hear and all the staff leg it out in the summer when we hear them.
the father in law has been up in a p51 in florida much much cheaper and they sling them about and you get ago! also a b17 and a mitchel. i think its cheaper to fly there and have a go than go in a spit!
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

steve m

Postby steve m » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Tony C wrote:Sounds a great day, I'd be delighted if they regularly flew over us. The Goodwood Revival is not the same since the accident at Shoreham which has severely restricted air displays.....Looked into a ride in a two seater Spitfire, not cheap :shock:

I will have to bore you with the details of my 40 mins P2 in in Pv202 Spifire, when I see you !

Best bit , it was FREE :D :D :D :D

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Steve,
Be happy to hear about it, promise to bring back your tracking and camber gauges soon, honest :oops:
Cheers
Tony
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am

scotty wrote:they should make more new ones theres the cash in it now.

the father in law has been up in a p51 in florida much much cheaper and they sling them about and you get ago! also a b17 and a mitchel. i think its cheaper to fly there and have a go than go in a spit!

I doubt you could make a new one, BAe wouldn't let the Hurricane drawings out in case someone made a new one, crashed it & sued them. In a less regulated place, Yakovlev made a new batch of Yak3s & Yak9s a few years ago spacifically for sale to warbird enthusiasts.

The Mustang is much MUCH easier to convert to a two seater, it's really "just" a case of fitting a second seat in the space behind the first & changing the canopy for a slightly more bulbous one, on a Spitfire the entire cockpit is moved 13" forwards into a space formally occupied by the back half of the main fuel tank, then a new cockpit with separate canopy is added - that's a hell of a lot of work, which is why (I think) it's only been done once (the Grace Spitfire), all the others were converted from single seat MkIXs by Vickers Supermarine post-war when they bought a bunch back & modified them for re-sale.

So some of the price discrepancy is down to rarity.

Return to “You Went Where ???”