Double Tour

Inspire the rest of us! A place to pop a note / blog of your travels, a short desciption with a photo would be perfect.

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Double Tour

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:13 am

It's September, so it's the SKCC RogueRunners tour of Wales, but this year i'm going a little "freestyle" by adding my own tour of Devon to the front.

So I'm heading down the A30, doing the zig-zags near Comton Abbas, stopping off at the excellent Fleet Air Arm Museum, before running down the Devon coast through Torbay & Dartmouth, ending at a friend's house neat Plymouth.

Day two sees a quick diversion into Cornwall to settle the cream tea dispute by seeing which way I prefer the scones, the north across the moors to a Hotel near Lynton.

Day three is zig-zagging across the moors (rated as some of the UKs best driving roads) before heading to Cheddar Gorge, & a visit to the Helicopter Museum in Weston. Finally over the bridge to meet the other Rogues in Newport.

It kind of mirrors a trip I did in the Fury when it was first on the road.

Wish me luck! :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Double Tour

Postby greenwoo » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:11 pm

Nice one, will look forward to updates Tony.....

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:56 pm

The very best of luck Tony, some cracking roads down there. Hope the weather is kind to you and all the rogue runners.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Fair play Tony and good hunting
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 am

I set off earlyish yesterday, not too early, no point arriving at the Fleet Air Arm museum before it opened. I stopped for cake & a coffee at "The Udder Farm Shop" on the A30, which is where I put the roof on because the rain started.

The traffic wasn't too bad in Salisbury & Shaftsbury & I got to the museum pretty much on time. Through the gates, not much in the car park, but it was opening time on a wet Tuesday.......

There's a long divided staircase to the entrance, so I walked up one side, the automatic doors opened - the next door was locked. Maybe that's the exit? I walked down & up the other side, the automatic doors opened, next door locked. Weird.

I googled the opening time & found it was the following day because HRH had died. Why not put a sign at the bottom of the stairs? Or in the car park?

So I now had three hours to kill on the journey, no point hurrying. With the roof up & too many layers on it was just unpleasant, but I stopped in Dartmouth for a wander & an ice cream (in the rain, because British). On the way out of town, I'd planned to use a back road, but it was closed & I ended up on one of the little roads up to the top
IMG-20220913-WA0004.jpeg
Dartmouth
of town - 8ft between houses, cobbled, 1 in 4 gradient, with the roof on, pedestrians, the windscreen & my glasses steaming up, not ideal. :D .

Next stop Bigbury, where I had a walk on the beach in the rain & finally to Wembury.

So day one was a bit of a trial, but I'd made it & the forecast for tomorrow was better!

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:35 am

Up with the lark because the friends I was staying with had work to go to. It was still raining & the SatNav said "no route possible" great.

I set it for Torpoint & wrestled with the Plymouth rush hour. Everyone else knew where they were going & what lane they should be in.

On the other side of the Taymar in Cornwall, things were more relaxed & the roads were quieter & twistier. Because of the SatNav "feature" I was re-setting it town by town, so I had coffee & a stroll in Looe, drove to Polperro, then re-set for Liskeard. Only when I realised I was heading west, not north did I realise I should've set it for Launston. But no matter, the route it then found went cross country on some very nice roads.

By now the sun had his hat on, so I stopped in Coombe Martin & had another wander, then to Lynton for fish & chips on the beach & finally to my hotel set in amongst the hairpin bends on the A39 :D
Attachments
IMG-20220914-WA0012.jpeg
Combe Martin

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:36 am

Up with the lark because the friends I was staying with had work to go to. It was still raining & the SatNav said "no route possible" great.

I set it for Torpoint & wrestled with the Plymouth rush hour. Everyone else knew where they were going & what lane they should be in.

On the other side of the Taymar in Cornwall, things were more relaxed & the roads were quieter & twistier. Because of the SatNav "feature" I was re-setting it town by town, so I had coffee & a stroll in Looe, drove to Polperro, then re-set for Liskeard. Only when I realised I was heading west, not north did I realise I should've set it for Launston. But no matter, the route it then found went cross country on some very nice roads.

By now the sun had his hat on, so I stopped in Coombe Martin & had another wander, then to Lynton for fish & chips on the beach & finally to my hotel set in amongst the hairpin bends on the A39 :D

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:30 pm

Glad the sun finally came out!
You can tell us about day three at dinner tonight :D

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:32 am

Day three was good! The roads were smooth with flowing corners & a few hairpins, the traffic was light, the weather was dry, there were overtaking opportunities & the enormous Volvo that came round a blind corner in the middle of the road missed me (by inches).

The helicopter museum was a little disappointing - too much stuff crammed in, most of it just lying about rather than being "displayed", I like to be able to get up close & touch the exhibits, but it was it was more "some bloke's big shed full of stuff" rather than a museum.

I cut my route short & met up with the other Rogues at the hotel, so now it's on with the proper road trip.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:19 pm

Proper posts with photos are starting to appear on my blog, the links are below

Return to “You Went Where ???”