Help! Employment and law

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Re: Help! Employment and law

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 am

steve m wrote:So, im now semi retired, work part time, on a zero hours contract, and LOVE IT !!!
I do not miss the money, nor the long 12 hour shifts, nor the night shifts

Hi Steve, I remember you posting up your "bad news" at the time, glad it worked out for you :D

CRAIGR

Postby CRAIGR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:48 am

Good to hear it worked out for you Steve
I am in the exact same situation at the moment, restructure, more responsibility,no more money.
My Voluntary redundancy form is written and ready to submit
Worrying times as only 55 but encouraging what you have said :mrgreen:

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 am

56 & made redundant three times in five years. I now have the best job in the world (for me) right on the doorstep. There are companies out there that value experience.

dray13dad

Postby dray13dad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:27 am

Thanks all for the wise words. Have a lot to think about and the more I write about terms and conditions that have changed the more I sway . Just plodding away at paper work which I have never liked and always avoided like the plague .

steve m

Postby steve m » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:49 pm

The only other thing that I forgot to mention, is being 55 and older, you are able to draw 25% of your private pension and ALL 25% is tax free, this is something I did at 55 and one month :)
This paid off an enormous chunk of my Mortgage

But you really need to take financial advice on the above, as its not for everyone, and thankfully from the age of my age of 21 ish, my Father (accountant) was on my back, to ensure I stuck a good percentage of my wages into one, hence being able to take the 25%

Obviously, the older we get, reducing debts is a priority, well to the more sensible of us

Had I not done this at 55, it could of meant taking redundancy when I did, could off trickier, more complicated

Now on the age thing of being over 55 and basically without a permanent paid employment, I can assure you, it was quite a nerve wracking experience, and for the first few months, I did question my own decisions on leaving VA, but with over 14 months elapsed, It was the best decision EVER

Good luck with any decision you make, and hope it has the correct ending

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

dray13dad

Postby dray13dad » Sun May 20, 2018 7:29 pm

Well its been sometime since last logged on here and a few things have had to change.
I never got a reply to my letter to my boss of sum 17 pages of questions and further information needed. so the start of this year went looking for a new job(after 14yrs with same company that was hard work,but in mid April started working for Allied vehicles as a mobile WAV tech (wheelchair access vehicle).Just looking after the equipment and not the rest of van. good work and getting in lots of travel.
on the car front.Garage at home is just about finished and hope to start looking at the end of summer for a replacement as just lost interest in the old westie cos of work,but life is good and looking at this now as semi retirement as a lot less hours working.
Oh forgot to say but fun car at the mo is the Wifes st180 with 215 conversion upgrade (we fight for the keys)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun May 20, 2018 8:01 pm

glad to hear that things have worked out Richard.......don't be a stranger, i know its a slog, but if you ever fancy dropping in to one of the Cafes for brekkie....be good to see you.

steve m

Postby steve m » Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 am

I am also very pleased with your decision, and now in a new role, that you seem to enjoy
It proves that my theory of get out, and find another job, did work :)

For me, its been 2 years on May 08, that I left VirginAtlantic, and I still enjoy driving new cars around the south of England, and zero hour contract (for me) works brilliantly, but to others who need a constant 40-50 hour week it does not

regards

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”