Moderator: Contaminated

zxr400

Re: Good to be back

Postby zxr400 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 pm

all ways look on bright side of life ,de de de de :lol: cheers paul

AshG

Postby AshG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 pm

sorry guys only just saw this one. it wouldn't be to difficult to move it to our own host. all we need to do is find a host that has unlimited bandwidth and supports sql. once we have that we will need to migrate the ftp and sql data over and have the mx record for southernkitcars.com pointed at the new host.

only down side is that we will have one company for the domain name and another for the storage until the domain name comes up for renewal.

i manage 3 other forums and didnt really want to fully take on another but don't mind helping out as much as needed.

other option is we build our own server and sign up for an sdsl line at some ones house then we would be completely unlimited.

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Ash,
Least cost option is needed here. SDSL is still a costly option as far as I know. I looked at it a year ago for my site and it was prohibitively expensive.

......................Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Ash/ Neil or anyone, if you can email me with what we need or should be looking for from a host then i'll sort it. But then i would need some help to do the transfer because as you know that's outside my scope......

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:23 am

My brother in law runs a sdsl line at his house for work. Looking at prices from about £99 a month. Bt's on is about £120 +vat. Not exactly cheap!

Don't know if it helps but I'm very close to my exchange and get 7.5megs broadband here so should see good speeds on sdsl. I'm not overly sure if sdsl is affected but 'length from exchange' like adsl.

I'll ask my brother in law later about specs for servers etc.
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:28 am

Erm - is this thread still being written in english??

Tenpin

Postby Tenpin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:40 am

Fury1630 wrote:Erm - is this thread still being written in english??

Yes, but while it may be in Greek to some, it's actually nearly Greek - a sub-variant of English - Geek English! :)

- tenpin

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 am

Ash, Mark,
If you have some time one evening this week it might be worth getting together to discuss options and "strategies" for hosting the site?

If nothing else its an excuse to blat to a central rendezvous (pub) for a "diet coke" and a pow wow. If you are up for it.

Ben, welcome to join us but the central point isn't Wales! :shock:

Sent this as a PM to just in case you miss it

..............Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for the invitation lol take a laptop and find a free wifi and I'll conference call from Wales lol
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:19 am

I would seriously suggest you don't go down the SDSL & own server route. SDSL is currently restricted to 2Mbs symmetrically and uses private wire (EP9) to the destination. You would have to maintain the server with updates, secure it from the Internet (firewall etc) ensure there was a current AV on the server etc etc.

There are many hosting sites (titanhosts leap to mind) that will host the server, manage the DNS and have a much higher available bandwidth for a lot less dosh then you would be able to do it. They will also secure the server and ensure the latest patches are applied and the AV is upto date.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”