Estate Agents - gotta love them

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Estate Agents - gotta love them

Postby greenwoo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:20 pm

Some may know that in a past life i was indeed an Agent for some years; And it irked back then to have pals take the mickey when typically it was good old human (public) greed that led to gazumping and whatever other ills the agents were accused of causing.

But ......having been dealing with agents in '22.....hell, i wish i was still in the game!
Sharp savvy operators should be cleaning up!

'So do you have may folks to call about the house'
err - well we get the enquiries from Rightmove/zoop/onthemarket
'yeah, but once folks show interest in A property, presumably you have their details and can call them about others?
err - you wouldnt believe how many don't answer our calls
'oh right, so basically put it on the intereweb and sut back and wait'
err - i wouldn't go quite that far, but ....

"we have a couple who want to view'
great, their names? position? have they driven past? why do they like it? what are they looking for?
"err, simon/jenny - err let me check, i believe they're under offer. Not sure if they have actually driven past but i believe they're looking to 'upsize'.
'what nothing else? no idea how many rooms? whether they like the countryside? whether they need a home office?
err - no , we havent got that info.....but you could ask when they view!

'OK when do they want to come'?
'tomorrow morning or thursday at 9am would be good'
'nah, sorry, after 10.30 gives a chance to run the hoover over, do a final prep/tidy - so see what they say.'
'they;ve changed their mind, they dont feel that you're serious if you can see them at 9am'

It's such a different 'game' these days; outsourced photos to a 3rd party - who did ok with the stills but who took terrible drone shots - which i improved on with my own drone. Marketing blurb that had little marketing at all - which needed a rewrite to highlight some keypoints.

I might have to dust off my suit and think about making a comeback....

Wingco

Re: Estate Agents - gotta love them

Postby Wingco » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:13 pm

Interesting to here your points M. I will be next year looking to probably move out a bit so your points are interesting to here.
I will probably go the old fashion route, estate agent so if they cock up I can give them greif, and actually see a person ?
Its changed alot since we moved 35 years ago !!
I suppose it all depends if you are desperate to move or when ever.

Best of luck with the sale
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Feel your pain and our house isn’t on the market yet. Already had one run in over two issues, a lost in transit contract and the energy assessor who was supposed to do a floor plan.

Made it clear from the start, not interested in the bullsh1te or estate agent spin. He got 12 weeks to get me top dollar or he’s down the road. Funnily enough he’s still prepared to come round next Monday to take the photos on his iPhone for the particulars. Can’t wait.. :roll:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 pm

haha Colin, good luck with finding an EA who does things 'the old way'.....not 1 of those we 'auditioned' had any of those old traits;
no ringing out, no 'hot buyer lists' etc.

@ Mike.....well, come on, seems that iphones are just as good as a proper camera. Ask my mate Steve who took his to Brands that last time out :lol:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:05 pm

Buying and selling has always been a nightmare, it's just the problems have changed :roll:

When we lived in Westerham James Millard were always leafleting us to sell and to give them credit, they called two clients within two days of us putting it on the market and it sold in that week. I did feel they earned their money.

Hope it goes as well as possible Mark. Any plans on where you will move to?

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:41 pm

thx Duncan. Nope not entirely clear on the 'where to' yet - got some ideas, but will see what shakes out. Torn a little, as we're so used to peace and quiet - so part of the thinking was rural cambridgeshire; But both Sue and I were a bit poorly the last week. which made me wonder about the sense of being remote should there be a problem.

Sue still isnt driving, although wants to start to get her confidence back - that would make things easier in case of emergency. Anyway, short answer, not sure......although quite fancy somewhere along the corridor from St.Ives across towards Newmarket. Annoyingly seen a couple of homes that look good, with no immediate neighbours - but the plots were surprisngly small. Off to scout early next week...

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:21 pm

Good luck with the hunt Mark,,,,we sold our house in January and found our estate agents helpful,,on the market for 2 days then sold,,,,we have been in temp accommodation ever since as the buying market is a nightmare,,final offer ect ect,, we have know found our new home back were we both grew up and complete in 2 weeks,,,,,so selling fine,,buying a fecking nightmare

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:27 pm

My daughter recently moved into a house in Hailsham, they visited on the first day and there were already four offers in. They had to pay 12,000 over the asking price and even then they weren't the highest bidder, but got it because they were chain free.

Where are you moving to Martin? I often wonder where you ended up as we drive past Firle.

Martin S

Postby Martin S » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi Duncan, we first moved to pevensey bay,tho missed the country side,,,know moving back to barcombe, a walking distance from work,,,hope your well

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:03 am

Thanks, yes we are well. Barcombe is very nice, and walking to work will save you lots of money at the moment. I hope the move goes well :D

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”