Crypto.....and the future

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Crypto.....and the future

Postby greenwoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:28 am

Interested to hear that a few from this morning are already 'onboard' the crypto wave.

I'm new to the scene, but have been trying to absorb as much (genuine) info as poss - not purely about cryptocurrency, but the associated tech and social plays that are either out there or coming; NFT's, DeFi, Metaverse

Not to sound like a fanboi, but for those with a curious mind we're at the beginning of a heck of a journey.

A couple of folks asked about channels that i've been following, not the rah rah this will go up 5million% type of crap - but the more studious types of channels/info.

So, among the folks I follow;
Raoul Pal - macro investor
Investanswers on utube - has a ton of content that is clearly/concisely explained (probs the most genuine guy i've come across with so much info).
Cathie Wood - ARK investment CEO.
Robert Breedlove
Michael Saylor - ceo of microstrategy software company - who is a big believer in BTC; FWIW just an opinion, but for those who also dabble in stocks, maybe worth a look at them (mstr) as the current market price is low!

Do with it what you will, but there's a lot of clever/informed folks out there who know that the whole 'sector' is coming (web3, metaverse, etc etc).......let alone the 'currency' angle which is already being adopted by sovereign states and next year will see ETF's/Funds investing in the space.

As Neil (Nash) would say - Thoughts? ( considered opinions vs ' it'll never catch on' )

my 2 cents; looking to hold BTC & Ethereum long term to help fund my retirement, may well do the same with Solana; Those are 95% of my 'portfolio'. No interest in meme coins/shite, just stuff that has serious adoption possibilities.

Weathers

Re: Crypto.....and the future

Postby Weathers » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:32 pm

It was really interesting hearing your views on this Mark or the “Professor of Crypto” as I’m now going to call you.

As I mentioned I have been looking at this as an emerging risk and it’s potential in the financial crime and money laundering space.

It’s definitely coming and fast. The regulators and law makers need to catch up which is the other challenge.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:26 pm

@ Chris - definitely not a “Professor of Crypto”, a student yes! I think there's not many that could claim the Professor tag!

I have zero idea about nefarious uses for Crypto, all i do know is that the exchanges hold info on deposits. I'd imagine the only way to circumvent the authorities in that regard would be some form of peer to peer exchange, and no idea whether that sort of thing exists/is possible.

One other thing that seems interesting is that a few places offer a kind of banking facility against the better 'assets'; Meaning that you can 'stake' your crypto and earn rewards - ie/ the equiv of interest. Plus you can borrow against the asset. Have just started to drill into that and with a reputable source its poss to borrow up to 25% of say Bitcoin at 1% pa, or receive 6% for staking it.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Personally, my issue with it is ethical. I'm no angel but crypto was designed originally to hide the identity of the users, on the premise that Big Brother is watching us and crypto was a way of staying hidden. Load of cobblers IMO but what it does mean is that, if you are dodgy, crypto is perfect.

The most obvious example of that is ransomware; lots of very innocent companies, schools, hospitals etc have been caught and have been forced to pay up - and how do they pay? With crypto...

Apart from feeling uncomfortable with this, I reckon the authorities will catch up with this whole industry eventually, laws will be changed and it will collapse.

Sorry to be so negative and I'm probably wrong - if you do make billions, can I please have a Ferrari? :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:02 pm

@Neil...not sure this
The most obvious example of that is ransomware; lots of very innocent companies, schools, hospitals etc have been caught and have been forced to pay up - and how do they pay? With crypto...
Not sure is that valid. Given that scammers have in the past asked for Walmart/Target/Amazon vouchers - by that argument, we'd have an issue with those stores.

as for the 'whole industry', am assuming you mean the 'currency' aspect to crypto - rather than the associated 'add ons'?
Laws will indeed be made or enforced, but at a guess I'd imagine that those would more likely protect & impact the Ponzi type/shite 'currency/coins'. As for the Blue Riband ones - I'd be surprised if globally Gov's could do much that would entirely impact, given ( i believe ) that for example BitC is already generally classified as an 'digital asset' vs currency.

No doubt a load of 'also rans' will fall by the wayside, and we'll all know whats what within a few years. But if the major 'assets' end up at zero - then for sure there'll be a lot of very normally astute folks (Including countries) who will have erred in their predictions/convictions.

Like I said for me, its the whole of 'whats coming' which intrigues, not just the crypto part - but the evolution of the entire web3; NFT's, virtual 'living' ( i have no interest in that apart from seeing how it expands), DeFi/Smart contracts and so on.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:58 am

@nelmo Yes the use by dodgy people is exactly the issue we have. It’s use in crime, terrorist funding etc is a real concern exactly because it is not traceable and is outside of the “legitimate” financial system. Then again cash is easily to misuse and is regularly and there are loads of laws around that.

BUT it is on the radar of the government and financial regulators plus the likes of the accountancy bodies etc so it will be interesting to see what happens from a legal/regulatory perspective.

davro

Postby davro » Tue May 03, 2022 1:50 pm

Yes I find the whole crypto space very interesting from a financial and technological view.

I have been dabbling with lots of different aspects of Crypto since 2012 from mining Bitcoin for fun on a couple of 5970 GPU's, to developing smart contracts and free claiming stuff, mainly because I'm a geek and I like learning and playing with new technologies.

But recently I have been looking into replacement layer 1 projects for Ethereum and smart contract platforms as ETH really does seem to have lost it's way, especially with the high fees crippling the use cases of the smart contracts and the Ethereum foundation is connected with some companies that seem a bit controlling.

Ohh and Hello again after about 3 years away :lol:
Dax Rush Hayabusa with front Camber Compensation

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed May 04, 2022 10:55 am

wow, blasr from the past - hi Dave, hows tricks?

out of interest, which layer 1's look good to you? So many seem to have poor tokenomics, wondering what you're seeing through your dabbling & insight?

davro

Postby davro » Sat May 07, 2022 2:55 am

Hiya I'm well thanks, hope you have been keeping well :)
I'm just getting the Dax Rush back on the road after a few years in hibernation after blowing up the clutch basket and nearly destroying the engine with metal in the oil pump luckily it stopped there ...

I'm waiting for the launch of PulseChain and PulseX at the moment, managed to get into the sacrifice set last year, It's basically a fork of Ethereum but proof of stake and purely deflationary model from the start, plus it is doing a complete system state fork of Ethereum so if you have any ETH or Tokens on the Ethereum network they will be copied across to the PulseChain network, basically the worlds biggest airdrop coming soon tokens, nft's everything for anyone holding on Ethereum, so if you have anything on Ethereum you will have it on PulseChain ;)

The main reason for PulseChain was to save HEX token holders from the ridiculous ETH fees, the testnet is looking really good, have been testing over the last 3/4 months.

Basically this ecosystem.
PulseChain (Layer 1: Ethereum Replacement)
https://pulsechain.com/ (main website)
https://stake.v2b.testnet.pulsechain.com/ (testnet staking)
https://gitlab.com/pulsechaincom/pulsechain-testnet (code and docs)

PulseX (Replacement Uniswap Defi exchange for PulseChain)
https://app.v2b.testnet.pulsex.com/ (testnet)

HEX (Certificate of Deposit or Time Deposit Smart Contract)
https://hex.com/
Currently holding HEX on Ethereum waiting for the duplication and airdrop on PulseChain.

The HEX Lambo has been getting quite a bit of attention.
https://www.instagram.com/topcatsracing/

davro

Postby davro » Sun May 15, 2022 11:02 am

My HEX, Pulse livery is not nearly as impressive as the HEX Lambo :lol:

But I did pretty much make everything myself, including the stickers, must say the silhouette cameo 4 is a nice little plotter for the hobbyist and the software is pretty good as well.

IMG_20220514_182400420.jpg

IMG_20220514_155930902.jpg

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”