Fluorescent tube light - Replacements

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisL

Fluorescent tube light - Replacements

Postby ChrisL » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:29 am

Morning all,

I've got a couple of 6ft fluorescent tube lights in the garage, one each side, that I'm looking to replace. They are currently mounted to the ceiling rafters as there isn't a ceiling. They are ok for light if you are under them but rubbish fore and aft of them. So any suggestions for replacements that can be mounted in the same spots using the same mains feeds?
I don't think a row of spots would be much use, so was heading down the route of 6ft LED Batten lights but wondered if there was any better options?

TIA
ChrisL
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

DJ.

Re: Fluorescent tube light - Replacements

Postby DJ. » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:05 pm

We swapped to a 5' led as it covered the same area on our kitchen ceiling. It was cheap and is extremely bright, I think you would find them easy to fit and much brighter than the old tubes.

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:26 pm

I swapped my garage fluorescent tubes for LED ones, direct replacement from Screwfix. Much brighter and more reliable
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am

Cheers chaps,

I hadn't even considered just swapping out the tubes, will investigate as it's probably cheaper.

Ta
Chris

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 pm

I've swapped all my garage ones for bright 5' LEDs at £6.50 each (online) and chose the daylight tubes giving a white light. Also chose highest lumens tubes - think it was 5,000. Huge difference to old ones.

They are not quite a straight swap but dead easy. LEDs require a simple L + N connection one end so turn off power(!) and snip blue N wire then snip brown L wire. Take out all starter and other gubbins and bin. Just connect to the junction block the brown and blue wires. Snip off the other end wires completely. In every case I did not have to extend any wire, just expose some wire to put into the junction block. Took about 5 mins per tube.

Note my fittings were single tubes and the pin fittings were wired the same for LED. I think if you have twin tube fittings you have to change the pin fittings. There are several YouTube videos explaining this. HTH.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:45 am

Thanks Richard,
I did see some that made the point about the L&N being at one end so suspected a bit of re-wiring to be involved. Where did you get yours from as I'm not seeing anything for 5' cheaper that about £18?

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:15 am

lampshoponline.com

It really is easy to wire up as all you do is snip one wire and fit to junction block and snip everything else away. The tubes have an L & N marked on them so when fitting pins in holder, just make sure the L & N match with your wiring of the holder fitting.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:19 am

I see prices have gone up a bit but still cheap IMHO
Richard.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks Richard, a lot cheaper than I was seeing and have a couple on order, cheers!!!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Great.

When they arrive they will be plastic and not glass. Odd at first but at least will not break when hit.
Richard.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”