Guy Martins Elec Car challenge

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Guy Martins Elec Car challenge

Postby greenwoo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:10 pm

anyone else see this and feel underwhelmed?

I quite like GM's many of GM's programs, but this just felt thrown together - actually the show and the program!

Before I get flamed for 'its recorded during Covid or whatever other excuse', i just didn't 'get it'.

Wants to achieve the WRecord for an elec car over the 1/4 mile, goes to a place that re-engines cars to electric, Boss offers him the use of his personal Beetle......
err, so the weight of that was clearly way more than the car he had to beat
one would have thought that they'd have worked out before getting to Santa Pod that there's no way they could get the power down properly in the first 50 meters or so

I was probs expecting too much, but when they picked the Beetle i was guessing they'd go 4 wheels drive or something sexy with twin motors.

anyway, its poss that i have turned even grumpier than normal :lol:

b33fy

Re: Guy Martins Elec Car challenge

Postby b33fy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:29 pm

Thought is was ok, though flogging a dead horse at the end. It was obvious after the first run it wasn’t going to find over a second unless they turned up the voltage or put a bigger fuse in it or whatever it is they do. :lol:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:24 am

I haven't watched it yet, but it doesn't sound a serious attempt. When we last went to Santa Pod, someone had a tiny car like a Fiat 126 I think with an electric motor and it was doing quite good times :lol:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 am

DJ. wrote:I haven't watched it yet, but it doesn't sound a serious attempt. When we last went to Santa Pod, someone had a tiny car like a Fiat 126 I think with an electric motor and it was doing quite good times :lol:

@Duncan, Sorry about the spoiler Duncan.

I guess one of Guy Martin’s angles is to approach things a bit ‘man in shed’ as a bit of an underdog, without the huge R&D budgets like the big boys. In that respect way he’s quite entertaining and he’s always worth a watch.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:03 am

I have to agree with you Mark. I'm a big fan of GM, but that was dragging the bottom of the barrel. I did my apprenticeship in an electric motor manufacturer, electric motors serve a purpose but not in a car. I've ridden in a Tesla s, yes quick and yes boring and undynamic.
All of the governments worldwide who are committing to this electric revolution are totally lacking in foresight and investigation. Some simple maths shows that if we are to convert to 100% electric transportation, we will have to build seven new nuclear power stations to cope with the demand, or the equivalent. Given the cost to return nuclear power is the only effective option I don't see any investment in infrastructure. As for battery manufacturing it will be interesting to see where all of this lithium is going to come from.
I'm glad I won't be around when all that head scratching starts.
HTH Mark.
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Don't worry Mike, who cares about spoilers, it's only a TV program :D

Mark, you are correct, if we are going fully electric in 2030, they should have been building nuclear power since 2000, and the whole national grid needs updating. Hydrogen seems to be the best bet. JCB have made an engine that runs directly on hydrogen, much cheaper than fuel cells, no hideously damaging lithium batteries, and the infrastructure would be relatively straightforward.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:30 pm

Like anything, these policies aren’t thought through. Actually I lie.. thought through to the next election to gleen voters, keep the greenies happy and the expenses rolling in. They end up going past the point of no return create a Shiite storm and cluster fook all in one and history repeats itself. In this case along comes the seventies blackouts and power cuts.. I can’t wait. Anyone wanna buy some candles? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 am

Duncan, you're absolutely right. I came up with an idea in 1980 when I started my apprenticeship. Use wind wave and solar energy to power electrolysis. Harvest and store the hydrogen, then burn the hydrogen to produce power. Clean, non polluting and free. Scientists trialled it on orkney in the nineties but no one was interested.
Mike, you are absolutely right about the political situation. They all only see as far as the next election. I can remember not long ago before covid kicked off. Certain elected politicians saying " oh no no no, we can't afford to spend 1.2 bn on the NHS.". Then when covid popped up it's head , suddenly the money tree blossomed. " yes we can afford 30, 40, 50, or 60 bn." We need to remind people of this come the next election.
I have heard it said, that one certain top ranking politician plans to see out his term, not stand for reelection and run off to seek his fortune. All on the back of his achieved political status. Sounds familiar??? Mmmm let's see.....

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:48 am

Like anything, these policies aren’t thought through. Actually I lie.

taking that statement Mike, you are fully equipped to be a high ranking member of the Cabinet!

Ooops i shouldn't, sod it i will......

They're always had a tendency to bend the truth, but I cannot fathom how the hell bending the truth has of late evolved to barefaced lies and distortions without challenge or indeed any comeback.

@ Mark......I pray that 'person' doesn't get as far as the next election, fatuous lying windbag, what a lump of lard, ohhh i might get me a 'mask' that i can put on my punchbag, i'd never get tired of punching that!

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:25 am

@ Mark......I pray that 'person' doesn't get as far as the next election, fatuous lying windbag, what a lump of lard, ohhh i might get me a 'mask' that i can put on my punchbag, i'd never get tired of punching that!

......can't think who you're talking about :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”