Man cave mk3

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Tony B
Site Admin

Man cave mk3

Postby Tony B » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:24 pm

So, here we go - decision made, the old garage is going to be replaced with a more solid, insulated and damp proof building that will incorporate the garage and an apiary room - the plan is to get rid of the old one in the new year and start building the new in February. So to start with I have 1 question and 1 offer

Question - these are the loose plans of the new building, I’m planning to build with brick and block and cavity insulation throughout but do you think that’s overkill for the garage area and instead build that out of single brick with pillars?

6D9407B5-81BD-4462-9698-4F007963CE52.png

Offer - does anyone want the old garage?, free of charge, it’s 7.5m by 5.5m concrete section with a corrugated roof which may or may not be asbestos (it’s from the late 80s and I can’t tell). The garage doors are going on the new building

AB736DFF-D742-40FE-9CAA-002091F3CF2D.png

Rickyrjb

Re: Man cave mk3

Postby Rickyrjb » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Serious garage envy going on, that is a nice size!
Have you considered making it from 6x2, Tyvek membrane on that outside then weatherboarded, full full insulation and OSB inside.
Not sure if this would be cheaper from a materials point of view but you could make the sections up on that ground and bolt them together.
I do love a timber building
Westfield SEight V8

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:44 pm

I’d go for the highest spec you can afford. Maybe tie it in with the house if that’s an option as it looks close to the garage. Future proof it for potential living space/annex. If you can, incorporate some loft space which could be used as storage and maybe converted at a later point. Oak framed outbuildings look good and compliment most house styles, may be an option.

All the best with the build Tony :)
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks guys - yes the original plan was timber with plastic cladding but decided, as Mike says to make a more permanent fixture that fits in with the brickwork of the house better.

Just need to get rid of the old concrete sectional one and find somewhere to store the Westy and mowers while i do it all!!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”