Solar panel or wind power?

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Solar panel or wind power?

Postby locost220 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Asking on behalf of a mates, mate who wants to replace a generator to run a set of 12volt pumps in a small fishing lake.
He wants to consider making his down turbine from a car alternator but sure the great and good of Skcc must have tried solor power or a small commercial wind turbine.
Any experience gents.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Solar panel or wind power?

Postby greenwoo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:55 pm

no idea. I dabbled with the idea of a wind turbine a few years ago, and vaguely remember some stat which suggested that even where we are on top of a hill the 'return' would be questionable.
One thing i do know is that commercial solar panels have dropped in cost massively and are more efficient today vs a cple of years back.

I'd wager that solar may be the better way forward, but like all these things it'll be the storage as much as anything else that will cost - assuming that he'll want to run the pumps 24x7 ?

Jasonmpk

Re: Solar panel or wind power?

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:20 am

HI ya, for some reason i seam to have a couple of spare, old, solar panels that were never fitted. I can give you one for a beer token, But i'll need to dig it out to see what it's power rating is so that you/he can source a transfer set up ?

Let me know if it's of any use before i dig it out please :)

Jason

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”