Drone License - what a joke

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Drone License - what a joke

Postby greenwoo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Am toying with buying a drone. A conv with Mike earlier alerted me to the fact that I ought ( as a responsible adult ) check whether there are any Regs these days. Well as many will no doubt know - there are.

A need to take a test and get registered as a user or operator or both....for the princely sum of £9.

What a bloody joke. Until last night all i knew about drones / quad copters was that they have 4 whirry things that make them go up/down and whatever else. So tonight as a bit of sport i thought i'd take the test, what a frigging joke; 75% is the pass, achievable with zero research/knowledge.

I can't fathom the point of the £9.
£19 - maybe, but £9 prob doesnt cover the admin for setting up/running the scheme, and at that low level doesnt seem much of a deterent/incentive to actually ponder the 'rules'. Hell 75% doesnt seem worthwhile either.....if i ever find out that Pilots only have to get 75%+ on their exams i'll be walking to Spain in future.

b33fy

Re: Drone License - what a joke

Postby b33fy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 pm

:lol: Did you pay the £9?
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Don’t know much about the law or drones etc, my understanding is you can fly a drone without all the hassle of registering etc if it weighs under 250grams, not sure what you can get with this weight and if they are any good or not.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:54 am

I'm led to believe there are lots of 249g drones available now that a licence is needed for those 250g and above :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Weigh it while it's hovering :lol:
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:57 pm

DO they have police drones that pull you over for license and insurance checks?

It's got to be more of a register of owners than a real test then? But they make you pay the £9 and you get a "print your own" certificate!! FFS :lol:

Nash

Postby Nash » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:21 pm

the licensing and registering is so they can find you should the need arise. The 249g Mavic Mini is very good.

The commercial drove permit is essential if you want to do commercial work. I did it 3 years ago and it is a waste of money as the market couldn't, and still can't, sustain the costs of drone work.

Be aware most drones 'log' flights via its gps and can be used against you.

I sold all my kit 2 years ago as its a pain the butt and takes all the fun out of it.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:31 pm

greenwoo wrote:Am toying with buying a drone. A conv with Mike earlier alerted me to the fact that I ought ( as a responsible adult ) check whether there are any Regs these days. Well as many will no doubt know - there are.

A need to take a test and get registered as a user or operator or both....for the princely sum of £9.

What a bloody joke. Until last night all i knew about drones / quad copters was that they have 4 whirry things that make them go up/down and whatever else. So tonight as a bit of sport i thought i'd take the test, what a frigging joke; 75% is the pass, achievable with zero research/knowledge.

I can't fathom the point of the £9.
£19 - maybe, but £9 prob doesnt cover the admin for setting up/running the scheme, and at that low level doesnt seem much of a deterent/incentive to actually ponder the 'rules'. Hell 75% doesnt seem worthwhile either.....if i ever find out that Pilots only have to get 75%+ on their exams i'll be walking to Spain in future.

Best get your Hiking boots out then!! A mark any higher than that is wasted effort! :lol: :lol:

As mentioned, a lot is to do with 'I know where you live' when you start flying it down the approach at Gatwick!! Thing is, if you are that irresponsible, what licence will there be??
Tiger Supercat 2.0 Zetec.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”