Engine change and regulations

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Green Indy

Engine change and regulations

Postby Green Indy » Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm

A chap at work has recently bought a Quantum with engine problems as a project. One solution to the problem engine is to swap it out, but what are the implications for doing this? I'm assuming that it won't need a new IVA, but does it need the number updating with the DVLA? Any other unforseen issues to be aware of?

DJ.

Re: Engine change and regulations

Postby DJ. » Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Assuming, it is a like for like engine swap, and the old engine is scrapped, I think I would swap the old number over to the engine to save bother.

If is obviously a different engine, I presume DVLA and insurer would need to be informed. Several people on here have done this, so I'm sure they'll be more help :)

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Thu May 14, 2020 3:32 pm

I swapped from 1.6 CVH to a 2.0 zetec and I told the DVLA who issued a new V5 showing the new engine capacity and engine number. Car tax rate did not change, but obviously insurance had to be told too and this possibly could change.

I'm now swapping from one 2.0 zetec to another 2.0 zetec and I don't plan to tell anybody. I can't see any need to.

If a future buyer wants to mess about looking to see if the engine number matches the V5 then good luck to them. It's not something I'd be worried about on a kit car.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm

You are allowed to swap engines anyway so just tell the DVLA the new number. I swapped an RV8 3.5 for a TVR (RV8) 5.l.

You really should tell the DVLA the new number so there are never any problems in the future for things not matching. In my view, play safe.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Green Indy

Postby Green Indy » Fri May 15, 2020 5:54 am

Thanks for all your thoughts, I'll pass them on

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri May 15, 2020 9:13 am

mmm that's got me thinking, must did out the v5 and take a look. On neither of my cars did i ever inform DVLA about the engine swaps....

Dick

Postby Dick » Fri May 15, 2020 11:30 am

greenwoo wrote:mmm that's got me thinking, must did out the v5 and take a look. On neither of my cars did i ever inform DVLA about the engine swaps....

Thats because your have no engine numbers on them

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 pm

:D

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:14 am

A crate engine has no number - on the Fury's V5 it just had "none supplied" in the engine number box. The x-flow it had first had also been a crate engine with no No. when it was put in the Rickman I took it from, but the engine block part No. (711M - BA) had been used on the V5.

The Rickman went from x-flow to pinto to zetec, the fury went x-flow to zetec. Just fill out the change of details slip & post it. The only possible problem is is that they may come back & ask to see a receipt for the engine, so remember to keep it / fabricate one :D

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”