Sports behind closed doors

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Sports behind closed doors

Postby greenwoo » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 am

So if various articles are correct sooner or later sporting events will resume but without joe public being there - footie, motor racing etc.

I wonder how that will go down with the followers & supporters? I watched very briefly part of a Champions League game earlier in the year where there were no supporters due some infringement by the Home team.
It was painful; An eerie silence barring the 2 commentators....

I wonder whether our thirst for live action in sports that we love will be enough to make us tune in, and if we do - whether the spectacle will hold our interest?

With F1, i'd miss the grid walk and presumably the buzz that exists before the race starts - but afterward the crowds are not as highlighted as in other sports, and def not as audible - so i guess that'd work ok.

Footie....it's in your face that the place is deserted as most camera angles pick up the stands in the background and there's zero noise, so its a tad sterile.

DJ.

Re: Sports behind closed doors

Postby DJ. » Fri May 08, 2020 8:25 am

F1 doesn't really care about the punters at circuits, so I doubt they'll notice much :lol:

I'm not a football fan, but I have to admit the fans are a huge part of a big match. I don't think the players will like it, and I almost think, is there any point playing without fans there?

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 pm

I do love my footie but the atmosphere makes the game, the passion and the banter is all part of that.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Fri May 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Footballs a spectator sport. Personally I can’t believe they’re still wanting to finish the season in such a short time window.

I fear for the clubs lower down the leagues that rely on people through the turnstiles, unfortunately the premier league clubs are to intent on legal claims about lost tv revenue to worry about smaller clubs going to the wall - let alone player contracts ending at the end of June

My vote is to cancel the season (might be the only way Charlton don’t get relegated too!!)

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”