Man Cave Mk2

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 pm

greenwoo wrote:bloody hell - and there's me struggling to find an hour to use the chop saw to cut some firewood; Fair play, good to do jobs and see a decent result afterward.

A diff new camera or the old new camera?

Not sure Mark, lost track with it all. :lol: Still got the Canon 90D cropped sensor longer reach, 10fps. Bought a full frame 5D MkIV, Canon again.. brilliant camera, pro’s choice, a great workhorse, really pleased with it. Image quality is superb.

Latest project below..
Attachments
81015610-6DDC-49CA-933D-F43CA43A8D00.jpeg
69B09AA8-6197-4D9F-8A62-26970F7BEE48.jpeg
DE87B88B-9AE4-4342-9D44-07FA8231D346.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:40 pm

Wingco wrote:The man cave Mike looks brill. Hope you have finally got to enjoy your retirement ?
You certainly enjoy a challenge ? but you have done a cracking job on all your projects. Love the new gate, simple but elegant and great colours in the wood.
Now you have plenty of time on your hands ?? will you get the enthusiasm back for your kit car ? we all certainly hope so.

Thanks Colin, priority is to catch up on all the jobs I should have done instead of messing about with cars :lol: :lol: :D
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:03 pm

An update for those interested..

The room has been a number of configurations.. originally the house was two up two down with the stairs going up from the side “front” door. We removed the stairs and dividing walls and opened it up. We then added a side extension with a hallway and divided it back into two rooms. Work, cars and other things got in the way of redecorating etc until now.

As per the shots in the previous post, the ceiling was ripped down as it was a bit wavy with all the previous alterations. I could reconfigure the wiring as well. The end walls were also ripped out as the window surround/architrave was a mess with five different extrusions and a gallon of superglue applied when the window was fitted. The other wall had some surface mounted pipes which had to go behind the plasterboard.

The original fireplace in the front room had been bastardised and was past its best so was ripped out. A coal effect gas fire is going in its place to match the existing one, fitted when the extension was done.

Didn’t really have a plan as such.. didn’t want grey. Wanted a clean uncluttered look with a few classical bits of hardware/furniture. Wanted built in alcoves rather than dead space. Also wanted to loose the home cinema gear and keep that side of things simple. Quite like the industrial look but not really fair on swmbo, though a few bits I have gone for she likes.. lighting, column rads, valves etc.

After 12 testers and £60 we agreed a colour. The carpet has been a mission due to lockdown and a lack of choice unless you want grey or beige. Got that sorted now, though not fitting until the new year.

Going for wooden shutters on the window and french doors. Rads and fireplace need to be plumbed in. The dining area off to the right in the image also needs sorting. Being part of the extension, it’s pretty straightforward except an uneven floor which I’m going to dig up and Rescreed. The door will also be changed then all painted and carpeted to match the rest of the room.

Main jobs are as mentioned along with another undercoat and top coat on the woodwork then another coat of colour on the walls. Ceiling is done.. three coats given, finished today. (can’t move my arm lol)

A “before” image, taken just after I ripped the wall out and an after showing progress to date, taken today. My own work with the assistance of my son James and Linda(swmbo) Though I did rope my brother in to plaster the ceiling.
Attachments
706B3058-07B5-4D13-94B7-5F2220518DF4.jpeg
B5368272-738C-4953-8566-79845E53A5BA.jpeg

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Masses of work done Mike, I suppose when you are retied you have plenty of time. You must be chuffed with what you have done ? and as long as Swmbo likes it then result.
It looks great mike.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:04 pm

Thanks Colin. Finally got the carpet fitted today, so the room is complete, except for some wooden shutter blinds which take an age. In other news, been toying with getting another runabout as the Volvo is a bit leggy and seems to keep throwing up a few faults every time I turn the key. Found a top spec Yeti for not a lot of money. Broke all the rules of car buying, bought and paid for over the phone, the car is in Scotland so no chance of a viewing. Should get it Wednessday/Thursday fingers crossed. :? :?
Attachments
2413C7C0-7A3B-4AFD-B7A7-91AE6CF60A3D.jpeg
A876147D-E4B9-4531-8EDC-66147FF4FC1D.jpeg
9C94992C-ACC5-4833-98DE-A378693BA6C2.jpeg
603D7936-87B8-4473-B0D7-5F38C072CBD1.jpeg

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:00 am

looks good all round Mike, now that you've got some practice under your belt;

Got a shed that has more holes than swiss cheese, cojld do with a revamp.
Looking at knocking a wall out between 2 bedrooms to create a new master and en-suite

shall i book you in for next week?

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:01 am

greenwoo wrote:looks good all round Mike, now that you've got some practice under your belt;

Got a shed that has more holes than swiss cheese, cojld do with a revamp.
Looking at knocking a wall out between 2 bedrooms to create a new master and en-suite

shall i book you in for next week?

Not sure you’d like my day rate and riders Mark.. Lots of umming and arrring, chin scratching, looking, tutting and muttering. Then there’s the food and drink aspect.. coffee, bacon sandwiches, pies and cake. Not forgetting flexible working lunch breaks, travel friendly hours and working time directives. Lastly the shifting deadlines, extras and aspects that are “not my job mate”

When do you want me to start, we can spend the first day or so discussing my day rate :D

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 pm

That's a great transformation Mike.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 am

Wingco wrote:That's a great transformation Mike.

Thanks Colin. Had some remedial work done on the roof Friday, so that’s all good now. Skoda turned up early Friday morning. All good, great spec, 170 diesel lump, goes well. Doesn’t want for anything, pleased with it. Image taken late last night. Nothing much happening at the moment. Fitting a sound bar and burying cables. Outside Wi-fi and security upgrades going on. Gotta get on to a couple of bedrooms and then the hall at some point.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm

Did a few odd jobs around the place then decided to lash into the bedrooms. Ripped out one along with part of the wall and floor to incorporate some dead space on the landing into the room. The making good is next. Image below.

Been umming and arrhing about changing camera systems for a while now. The right opportunity came up with a mega deal yesterday, so going mirrorless, with an R5 albeit still with Canon. Looking forward to getting my hands on it and giving it a good go. Amongst other things the autofocus system is like something from science fiction.. won’t turn a crap photographer into a good one, but if you’re any good it makes your job a lot easier.

Demo here.. https://youtu.be/KZxF_ADf4eg
Attachments
8FD3778A-1BF9-4702-86E0-CCCE21EB23E4.jpeg

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”