Man Cave Mk2

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby DJ. » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:56 pm

I agree, it looks good. The project is coming on well!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:11 pm

Thanks both. Pleased with how the window looks. Just need to get the rest ordered. Probably will delay it slightly as there is a revised design on its way with a thinner mid rail and the follow through horns have been improved.

We’ve spent pretty much all of our time this week supporting the slater, Stewart Paisley, a real old school roofer who takes pride in his work and trade. He enjoys the challenge of old buildings and has a great reputation locally. To make it easier for Stewart we agreed to work with him, prepping and felling the roof, sorting skates into “light, medium and heavies” holing the slate and then cutting the “bullets to make it look fancy :lol:

There is definitely an art to the whole process, as James and I have learnt. It’s not just a case of nailing the slate on especially with natural slate. You put the heavy’s at the bottom, mediums in the middle, lights at the top. The holes also need to be in the lighter end of the slate. They also need to sit right on the roof, so there is a selection process as you go. All in all best left to Stewart with James and I doing the sorting holing and cutting. It is a bit of graft and repetitive. James and I have sorted through 2200 slate and cut nearly 700 for this part of the roof alone, though it’s well worth the result as the progress shows.

We are limited on the slating until the zinc roof is done, which is turning into a saga. I was hoping for a commitment in the new year for a company to complete, though I’m not holding my breath.
Attachments
IMG_5158.jpeg
IMG_5159.jpeg
IMG_5160.jpeg
IMG_5157.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:28 pm

More of the same. Cutting bullets and sorting slate. Managed to get ahead of the slater and get onto finishing another part of the roof, which is now ready for prepping and slating.

Managed to finish around 42m2 today which is around 1800 slate, 700 of which were hand cut to bullets. Really pleased with the results, just got another 100m2 left to do.
Attachments
IMG_6089.jpeg
IMG_6088.jpeg
IMG_5175.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:33 am

Looks fantastic, you should both be very proud.

I hope you are going to give James a day off over Christmas :D

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:03 pm

That roof does look a bit special Mike, you have both done very well, its going to look great.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks both, really pleased with it. The lodge is in quite a prominent position seen by many, so a lot of very positive comments which is nice. Decided to do the whole roof now as the old part is life expired, gone porous and moisture is seeping into the sarking. Best to act now before it deteriorates further which would mean more work and expense. If Kevin Mcloud was asking about contingency for the roof, “in a pot haven’t to pee” would be in the response somewhere, but needs must.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:13 pm

James and I finished the sarking and some details on another side of the roof so the slater could make a start before xmas. So back to sorting slate and cutting bullets. Only 400 to cut for this side. :roll: We removed some fencing and stuck some scaffolding up. In the long term we’ve permission to build a two metre high stone wall with railings in front of the windows when we get round to the landscaping.

It was a ball ache joining the old roof to the new one, but the slater is doing a cracking job again and you can’t see the join.

We cleared up at the end of the week and put in some temporary fencing for over xmas. Going to have a couple of rest days but we need to finish sorting and cutting before the slater returns in the new year. This will allow James and I to get on and finish the last sections of the roof and install some decking where a standing seam zinc roof is being installed. This is being completed on 8th January so we are up against it a bit.

We have had mega problems getting trades on site, though fingers crossed so far the stars have finally aligned with an ace old school slater, a standing seam zinc roofing company from down souf and a potential top class plasterer for the spring.

Many thanks to all those out there offering encouragement and support it really is much appreciated, especially when the going gets tough and the living conditions become a little grim at times.

Lastly a big thank you and wishing a merry xmas to Duncan, Kev, Colin and all who have contributed to the thread as well as the silent supporters willing us on in the shadows.
Attachments
IMG_6105.jpeg
IMG_5190.jpeg
IMG_6094.jpeg
IMG_5174.jpeg

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:23 am

The slate roof does look brilliant Mike, glad you are happy with it.
Its been a good read so far Mike, your son James is a credit to you mate , I couldn't have done anything like you are both doing.
Mike Have a great Christmas to you and your family, will catch up with the build in the new year.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:59 pm

Managed to get a good couple of days on the roof. Finished the joists for the hall ceiling and temporary boarded it so we could get up to do the roof. Mostly extending trusses, adding a valley plate and nailing on the sarking. A bit more to do tomorrow then the next job is to build a 10 degree deck over the ceiling for the zinc roof. Cutting the angles is gonna be fun.. not.
Attachments
IMG_6133.jpeg
IMG_5200.jpeg
IMG_5201.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:24 pm

Good luck. Sounds a tricky job!

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”