Coronavirus run outs

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus run outs

Postby greenwoo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:15 am

where's that piece of string and my tape measure....
i've given up trying to guess -

make up a 40mile ITN with butchers/grocers and supermarkets as the waypoints.....'Going shopping'
( joking before anyone starts shouting ).

Mind you off topic (sorry) i wonder what the 'sensible' allowable distance is for shopping. Everyone I talk to seems to recount zero queues or a 5 min queue to get into their s/markets, our local one seems to have a sizeable queue whenever I attempt a shop ( sizeable as in 40 mins, worst was an hr and 15mins in the frigging queue, having aborted 2 consecutive days before.)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 am

It is tricky to know what is allowed and what isn't.

I did take my Seven for a run up to East Dean. There is a butcher there who we know and their sausages are brilliant, my wife goes once a month to buy them normally. Anyway, we'd run out so I wanted sausages and once I'd decided to drive, I thought why not take the Seven?

Of course I passed the police both ways :lol:

Over on Lotus 7 club there are a load of puritans who say nobody should drive their kit (not their word :roll: ) in case it looks like you're enjoying yourself!

To my mind if you decide a journey is required, just take whichever car you want.

With regard to when we can restart morning runs, it's difficult to say. With some slight changes to our format, social distancing shouldn't be difficult, so I believe it would be low risk. However, the government have to say that it's OK to drive without good reason for us not to draw the wrong sort of attention :(

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:22 pm

That's a good idea Duncan, I think i'm going to go for a ride over the weekend just local, Ill stick a couple of Sainsbury's bags in my car just in case.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Wingco wrote:That's a good idea Duncan, I think i'm going to go for a ride over the weekend just local, Ill stick a couple of Sainsbury's bags in my car just in case.

That's not quite what I meant :mrgreen:
I'm a rubbish liar, I wanted to look the policeman in the eye and say it was a necessary journey, I took the nicer road, but didn't take a detour.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:29 pm

greenwoo wrote:where's that piece of string and my tape measure....
i've given up trying to guess -

make up a 40mile ITN with butchers/grocers and supermarkets as the waypoints.....'Going shopping'
( joking before anyone starts shouting ).

Mind you off topic (sorry) i wonder what the 'sensible' allowable distance is for shopping. Everyone I talk to seems to recount zero queues or a 5 min queue to get into their s/markets, our local one seems to have a sizeable queue whenever I attempt a shop ( sizeable as in 40 mins, worst was an hr and 15mins in the frigging queue, having aborted 2 consecutive days before.)

An odd one Mark with no rhyme or reason. I’d broken/lost pretty much all of my specs, so had to venture into town and poundland :roll: :lol: to get some more on a Sunday. Only car in the car park and three people in the queue awaiting entry, 5 minute wait. Decided to go posh and hit the M&S food hall next door, went straight in. Their best trifle is the best :lol:

Queued up a couple of times for NHS shopping session, had to wait longer, then once in its an hour before the checkouts open so not in a rush to do that again.

Screwfix have it sussed, not sure about B&Q, heard it was rammed with people buying essential paint.. :roll:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

danno

Postby danno » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm

I think a lot of it is down to luck if you get stopped. The issue with our cars is they look like you're having too much fun, even if you were going to a Covid testing centre! Definitely worth a tug.

I suppose the right answer to what is an acceptable shopping distance is; where is the nearest large supermarket/chemist to where you live? Depends how miserable the rozzer was that day.

I've only got 350 miles on the clock. I missed my first track day at Brands yesterday. I was meant to have run her in over April ahead of that. I asked the storage place to put her in a Carcoon bubble for the foreseeable... :cry:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 pm

danno wrote:I think a lot of it is down to luck if you get stopped. The issue with our cars is they look like you're having too much fun, even if you were going to a Covid testing centre! Definitely worth a tug.

I suppose the right answer to what is an acceptable shopping distance is; where is the nearest large supermarket/chemist to where you live? Depends how miserable the rozzer was that day.

I've only got 350 miles on the clock. I missed my first track day at Brands yesterday. I was meant to have run her in over April ahead of that. I asked the storage place to put her in a Carcoon bubble for the foreseeable... :cry:

At least you’re doing the right thing Danno. If mine was on the road I might have run to work and done a shopping run as I have previously. As long as I’m sensible the risks would be pretty much the same as using the tin top. Though in reality it’s probably not worth the hassle digging it out for a short trip. I wouldn’t do as Colin suggests and run around with a shopping bag for the sake of it. You’re asking for problems and little sympathy.. not withstanding a visit to a corona filled hospital if you end up getting t boned by a masked up OAP on their way to get their essential Murray mints...
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Fri May 01, 2020 7:57 am

I reckon I’d get away with using the Elise...

However, in preparation for the France Trip it’s at our local
Garage which is closed due to lockdown, sat on axle stands and the shock absorbers are somewhere in Germany. Kind of just put it out of my head now.
9 is more than a number

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 am

I’ve seen a few kits out near me and I have used mine to go to work a few times, you do get some funny looks from some people but I’ve even past police and they haven’t taken any notice. I don’t think I’d just go for a joy ride in it but if I’ve got a reason to be going somewhere then why not

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri May 01, 2020 2:11 pm

I've been going to the shops in mine and plan to go back to work for a meeting (distanced) next week. Use it when you can i say..
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”