Coronavirus run outs

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

nelmo

Re: Coronavirus run outs

Postby nelmo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:38 pm

davehall wrote: and whether the doctor is genuine or not, you can not dismiss what he said.

... Err... no, you should always verify your sources. A bloke who rang in to a radio station is NOT an expert who anyone should blindly listen to.

Not saying it isn't serious, just that it not as serious as some make out and we need everyone to stop panicking... and people like 'Dr Jack' are not helping IMO.

davehall

Postby davehall » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:32 pm

not as serious as some make out

Have you seen what’s happened in Italy and now in Spain? I think it’s just as serious as being made out!
Westfield SEiW 1.8 Zetec, Jenveys, Omex

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Not here to take sides and feed an online debate, this isn’t the time for all that. Just trying to add some balance to polarising opinions being posted on here. Whilst I Agree with Nelmo on the validity of Dr Jack, though after first thoughts I believe he’s for real.

Unfortunately NHS staff are discouraged from speaking out unilaterally, just look at the recent whistle blowing case where handwriting samples were analysed. There are whistle blowing, communication and use of social media policies, if breached means end of career. Though a few like Dr Jack take the chance through frustration, anger upset or downright injustice. Anominity is used along with pseudo names hence Dr Jack.

I’m bound by the same policies as ‘Dr Jack’ so avoid any work related social media posts, even ones such as “Sh1t day at work, time to get bladdered” type posts. So the following is as much as I’m (not that) comfortable posting on here.

I believe he’s genuine because of the language he used and his picture of the London situation is very reflective of the current situation, particularly immediate shortages of PPE, which are being addressed currently.

I was heavily involved with the H1N1 swine flu pandemic with emergency planning and infection control. We got lucky as it was a variant of an existing strain of H1N1 so there was immunity within the high risk groups who had been around long enough to be exposed to it. It now circulates along with all seasonal flu bugs No such luck this time around, with no immunity and it being more contagious (easier to pass on).

There are definitely parallel worlds out there currently, as Dr Jack described. Thankfully I’m less involved than previously, though there are emergency/business continuity plans activated with confirmed coronavirus cases increasing on the wards. There are plans to increase capacity by utilising the private sector and setting up temporary units, converting warehouses etc. Increasing PPE is also a priority along with ensuring there is enough staff. Staff are pooping themselves, I’ve had emails and conversations from senior staff stating this, though showing strong leadership and carrying on regardless.

Then there are some of the parallels where coronavirus isn’t yet a reality as described by some in this post, unfortunately if and when it does become a reality for the majority, the damage will be done.

On a personal note, I’ll have to go back to the front line when staffing gets critical and have already made arrangements to do so. SWMBO is also a qualified general nurse, working on the frontline at Pembury and along with an elderly mother and a sister who has had cancer treatment, I’m pretty anxious about it and also likely to be personally affected by it. though if we fall apart, ignore it or don’t all do our bit, it will be a lot worse.

I’ll leave this thread to those that want to continue the conversation as I don’t feel I can currently contribute any further in a constructive way.

Cheers.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 pm

I think the moderators should pull this. There are strong and polarising opinions and I think we’re a few posts away from this getting personal.

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Let's hope that won't be necessary, debate re this is good. If we're all sensible we can still get out whether in kit cars or walking in the countryside, we just need to limit contact until the situation becomes clearer, I honestly don't think anyone knows how it will pan out, but better to be safe than sorry. All credit to those in the NHS including Mike and his wife. I personally have put my name down with the local authority to volunteer to deliver food/medication for those that need it. Time to pull together for everyone's benefit. I hope everyone and their family keeps well.
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Sorry, but I feel that some on the forum have done their bit in serving the Nation. I personally know what that means and to understand what the loss of people you work with means and how it effects your live many years later.

For the first time in my lifetime everyone can do their bit to make a difference. Frankly, putting my toys away for a period seems a small price to pay for saving a life. It might be more lives. Whatever I will do what I think is necessary.

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:04 pm

There had been a few right knob head comments made on this thread, some people have lost their lives, lots more people will, lots of people stand to lose everything they have worked hard for through no fault of their own but let’s worry about the important things in life eh? Get a grip.
9 is more than a number

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:06 pm

My last 24 hours have involved taking my 18-month old daughter to St. Peters Hospital, Chertsey, due to her cough, wheezing, high temp of 39.4°and puking. Let me also share some “Highlights” with you all:

1. Wearing a mask and apron in a hot hospital is bad for 5 mins, just take a leak. You can't hear what people are saying through them and they misunderstand what you are saying. Imagine that for your entire working day.

2. Spending an hour on hold with 111, followed by them assessing her needing an ambulance but one wasn't available for an hour. We drove to A&E following consultation with a great paramedic on the phone.

3. Splitting the family at A&E to reduce the risk to half the family, including 4 year-old son - everyone's upset.

4. As my daughter gets ushered through a dedicated COVID-19 unit, the awareness that every bed had the curtain pulled with someone being seen too and others waiting to be seen.

5. The realisation that my daughter saw about 10 different hospital staff in 24 hours and that the that COVID-19 unit was full of people like her; that hospital will lose staff to COVID-19 because people were just doing their job - Doctors, nurses, medical students, cleaners, porters etc.

The good news is she doesn't have COVID-19 but doctors told us she needed to be there at the hospital. As do other people with broken limbs, cancer, in labour etc. except now there's resourcing issues as the NHS gets pulled into a fight with COVID-19.

Our drama ended good result but I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. We’re not in London, it’s only the start of the pandemic in the UK and the hospitals are already busy. Thank goodness it wasn't the peak because I dread to think how that might have played out.

The way to protect lives, which are typically vulnerable in the first place, is to follow the advice - experts/sources who understand this better than us are continually asking public to follow the advice. Whilst COVID-19 may not kill you, hell you may not even show symptoms, but you could carry it and infect many others.

I posted that YouTube not to cause alarm (which I don't think it does) but to challenge perceptions and behaviours. If that didn't work, I hope my family's experience today does. Please follow the advice.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 am

Really sorry to hear that, I hope your daughter is better soon!

At my practice we have stopped all routine patients and are only seeing emergencies. We don't have the required protective masks, but I'm not complaining as they are needed at hospital more.

leegav

Postby leegav » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am

on the plus side i did 300 miles this weekend and met nobody...used a pay at pump tesco.. havnt met anyone all weekend... not much different to my usual weekend anyway.. lol
we went for a walk but stayed clear of anyone and any toursity hot spots.
had a few beers at home instead of down the pub...no issues for me. getting more done round the house too. However, we are about to need to go to the shops for supplies :shock:
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”