Justice, maybe

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Justice, maybe

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:51 am

2.5 years ago I bought a PRG Tracsport trailer in Blue from a guy on Ebay. Once the trailer was delivered it became pretty obvious that something was amiss, I ended up contacting PRG and found they only made one in that colour and it had been stolen. The thieves had removed the serial numbers but didn't know that it has numbers on the axles which confirmed it was the stolen trailer.
Long story short, I found the person who owned the trailer and had it stolen from his drive (he had not insured the trailer). I got the Police to 'seize' it from me (didn't actually go anywhere) then the owner was able to collect. Ebay where very good and payed me back the cost of the trailer so all good.
Just had a letter through from Warwickshire Police stating that the guy on ebay has pleaded guilty to 13 counts of handling stolen goods and is awaiting sentencing. I had been due to give evidence in the case but am now not required.
So at least someone involved in this theft has been held to account, I'm pretty pleased that the owner had his trailer back, I got my money back and the guy on Ebay will get his just deserts shortly.

Wingco

Re: Justice, maybe

Postby Wingco » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:54 am

Great result Jeff and well done you.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:59 am

I’m glad it worked out ok for you and the guy who’s trailer it was and fingers crossed there’ll be one less scumbag helping themselves to other people’s stuff for at least a while

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:03 am

Well done Jeff, you got the best possible result there. I think the chap who had it stolen was lucky you bought it, not everyone would have borhered to look into it.

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53 am

Yeah well done Jeff,
The only one who really lost out was you, expect you didn’t get compensated for your running around, and sorting it out and then looking for a another trailer
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 am

It was a lot of work and was frustrating at times, I was interviewed by both Warwickshire and Kent Police and if he had not pleaded guilty I'd had have to have gone to Warwick Crown Court to give evidence.

PRG where good, once the boss who had all the records on his laptop return from his cruise. I had to find the guy who lost the trailer on Facebook, he was working transporting classic cars and the trailer was on his drive, the thieves wrapped a chain to the A frame and dragged it off in the night with a 4x4. He had not insured it.

The Ebay case handler was excellent, once I'd notified them they told me what was required to refund the payment and once Kent Police 'seized' the trailer (this took almost 2 weeks even after being notified by Warwickshire Police with the relevant case number etc) Ebay refunded the cost of the trailer and the cost of the delivery within a few hours.

The guy came down and collected the trailer and was very pleased to see it, tried to pay me a finders fee which I declined.

Amusingly Mr Jason Holdsworth appears in an episode of 'The Sheriffs are coming". Mr Jason Jonathan Holdsworth is the name of the person who pleaded guilty. Normally deals in dodgy boats apparently.

https://youtu.be/dCddmc4Bt5g?t=561

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am

Nice one Jeff, well done for doing the right thing. A good outcome all round.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 am

Nice one Jeff. Glad to hear that people do the right thing from time to time. Most people would have just carried on. I like PRGs stuff. That bloke must have been gutted when it went. Sounds like it was his livelihood too if he transports classic cars.

It troubles me buying anything “substantial” from eBay. For this very reason. But by the sounds of it they did a good job on this one too.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Well done for doing the right thing Jeff.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Nicely played with a straight bat

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”