Facebook

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Tony B
Site Admin

Re: Facebook

Postby Tony B » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks Russ, that makes sense. i had a quick look this morning and although you can make a "group" from the "page" there isnt an easy way to automatically allow all the 'hundreds' of people who have liked the page to become part of the new group!

biggest issue is having the time to update the page, Russ and I have been advertising runs but there is no way we want to (or have time to) replicate the all of the forum updates on FB - we probably need a couple more enthusiastic admin roles - applications via here to me please :D

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Good to talk to you tonight Tony, will look into it all tomorrow and get back to you mate.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:37 pm

russtik wrote:I think what’s happening here is you’re conflating your experience of a Facebook ‘Group’ with that of a ‘Page’. SKCC has a Facebook Page but not a Group. This works as a broadcast medium (when used) by SKCC admins rather than a platform for anyone to post. Facebook groups work more like community forums. Early on there was a decision to not create a Facebook group as it may undermine the (arguably declining) amount of conversation happening here on the forum.

People who ‘like’ the SKCC Facebook Page can post to it but those posts don’t show on the main posts feed. They get listed under a ‘community’ tab, but followers do get notified from time to time of this too.

Now, for the above to work people need to use the forum more to post up runs and general kit car activity, and SKCC admins need to promote this more via the Facebook Page.

Agreed but a genuine comment from a 30 year old kit owner said to me yesterday 'who has time for forums' Im 49 but these guys had internet and social at school. Im not criticising, just saying based on my observations. I hate FB but have found I have to have an account to keep up with other car stuff

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:29 am

Hammy wrote:
russtik wrote:I think what’s happening here is you’re conflating your experience of a Facebook ‘Group’ with that of a ‘Page’. SKCC has a Facebook Page but not a Group. This works as a broadcast medium (when used) by SKCC admins rather than a platform for anyone to post. Facebook groups work more like community forums. Early on there was a decision to not create a Facebook group as it may undermine the (arguably declining) amount of conversation happening here on the forum.

People who ‘like’ the SKCC Facebook Page can post to it but those posts don’t show on the main posts feed. They get listed under a ‘community’ tab, but followers do get notified from time to time of this too.

Now, for the above to work people need to use the forum more to post up runs and general kit car activity, and SKCC admins need to promote this more via the Facebook Page.

Agreed but a genuine comment from a 30 year old kit owner said to me yesterday 'who has time for forums' Im 49 but these guys had internet and social at school. Im not criticising, just saying based on my observations. I hate FB but have found I have to have an account to keep up with other car stuff

I understand what you are saying John but, the 30 year old is talking bollocks in my opinion! For two reasons, keeping the forum page open (apart from the login issue!) means you can jump in as easily as clicking a link on FB and if you use the Unread posts link it filters all the posts you haven't seen and have updated since your last visit. Secondly, fb is naff for following stuff longer term via your newsfeed as it keeps updating realtime so stuff just vanishes once read once!

All that and FB is so bloody intrusive with your data!

Rant over
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:03 am

the idea of FB has always been that it compliments the forum and in no way starts to replace it so i agree with Neil - it would be a sad day if we dont use the forum to advertise activities!

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 am

Agreed, hate FB - useless for following a long-term thread.

Not being funny but if you seriously find using a forum too time-consuming, then kit cars are not for you :D :( Goddamn millenials...

David T

Postby David T » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm over 30 so don't use Facebook. I did try it once, but I didn't inhale.

David T

Postby David T » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:07 pm

nelmo wrote:Agreed, hate FB - useless for following a long-term thread.

Not being funny but if you seriously find using a forum too time-consuming, then kit cars are not for you :D :( Goddamn millenials...
:lol: :lol:

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Dinosaurs.
9 is more than a number

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Phil N wrote:Dinosaurs.

See, now a millennial would have to go have a lie-down after that, what with all the extra buttons they had to press... :D

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”