DIY GRIT/SHOT BLASTER

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

DIY GRIT/SHOT BLASTER

Postby locost220 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Those of you who have followed my powder coating / Oven thread will be aware i have managed to powder coat my upper and lower wishbones, with what is called ''fine texture'' powder.
The second lower wishbones has come out rough more like bed liner and being it was done with the same pot of powder and cured at the same time as the upper two that came out fine I have concluded that I had the wishbone too hot as part of the prep heat work to get any impurities out and the powder dried too quickly upon contact, so I need to remove the coating and have another go, all part of the learning process.
So I also have issues at present with my shot blaster cabinet, seems after testing my 50 litre compressor it is only a 6.5 cfm instead of the min 10 cfm required by the cabinet, accordingly to Machine Mart spec, so whilst I wait to get a bigger spec compressor next week or so I have been U Tubing shot blaster cabinet improvement and came across a few hick ideas of home made hand held shot blasters, still requiring a compressor but much smaller spec for only a fews $s.
https://youtu.be/k6L_ArXCbYs

Being the sceptic I decided I would give one a go as it was only a few £s, infact £3.39 got me this babe,
p.jpg
Advert
p.jpg (3.72 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

I had the Garnet abrasive in my shot blaster cabinet patiently waiting some decent air supply so here is my version.
IMG-20190720-WA0003.jpg
home made

Once i had made it as instructed I knew it would be slow progress so decided I needed to remove as much of the black powder coating from the wishbones as i could first, not keen on paint stripper as it so messy so I used conventional drill mounted wire rush and alike so as not to take off any metal and I can tell you it was quite hard work to make an impact on it with these tools so encouraging for the quality of the powder coating project overall
As I expected the tools I was using was not taking off the inside corners, the coating within the ripples of the welds, or within some brackets, this is what I wanted to concentrate on with the DIY unit, as i knew it would be slower than the electric drill mounted wire brush.
The diy system is a lost system being that the grit will be lost and not caught like it is in the cabinet but I managed to get the air pipe through one side of the cabinet top hatch and lock the other side so 99 % of my grit was captured back in the cabinet and took a few minutes to use up a bottle of the grit so pretty good.
I had the air pressure set at 50 and compressor did not cut in and out too much.
I was more than impressed with this and any one that has a half decent compressor could use this to and clean off hard to get to bits on your car or bits too big to get into a conventional cabinet, or if you have the time but not the other tools required to do alternative methods.

IMG-20190720-WA0007.jpg
1, Before DIY Blaster

IMG-20190720-WA0008.jpg
3 After DIY Blaster
Last edited by locost220 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Tony B
Site Admin

Re: DIY GRIT/SHOT BLASTER

Postby Tony B » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Blimey, impressive work - I’ve got to blasting guns and quite a big compressor and when I started to strip do bits from my old Sierra I used playpit sand in my front garden- it got everywhere!!!

Hoping your gonna do another youtube vid of this Rich

kenton

Postby kenton » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Wrote a longish reply and got logged off GRRRR

kenton

Postby kenton » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Nice one Rich, love the write ups.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Not sure it is worth doin.g a video Tony as quite a few the same on the web already,i tried using it into a bucket but the spray was too bad that could have been filmed but the image of the cabinet will be poor.
there area few other options if you cannot make any thing yourselfs all requiring a compressor
s-l225.jpg
bucket
s-l225.jpg (5.09 KiB) Viewed 2549 times

s-l225 (2).jpg
hand held
s-l225 (2).jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

s-l225 (1).jpg
Aldi special
s-l225 (1).jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

yet to try my aldi one yet

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Hopefully the video of me using the DIY unit will appear here soon.

https://youtu.be/DIfYeJAJ6l4

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”