DIY Powder Coating and Oven

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

SteveRST

Re: DIY Powder Coating and Oven

Postby SteveRST » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:20 pm

Great write up Richard and interesting little project.
You gonna insulate the cabinet to get the temps up then?
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:16 pm

So decision made I started to look around for either an electric oven to strip or the bits only I wanted, after searching the local free/cheap facebook sites and driving down some of south London local back street looking for cast off, speaking to friends, family and work mates I was having no luck, coming back from doing a good deed at in laws I saw an old BEKO oven unit no more than 100 feet from my house that had been left out for the local totter, a quick trot down the road with my sack barrow and it was mine within a few minutes for nout.
I was also after putting in inner panels and insulating between the two skins but trying to keep the cost and weight down, but also not use up my stock of sheet steel .
The owners of the oven had disconnected the wiring already and as I was only after the oven light and the oven doors/glass I was not too bothered about testing it out prior to stripping it. Getting this in the overcrowded garage was the icing on the cake as far as working on the locost was concerned as I could now not swing a cat.
So as soon as I could i had to get moving on it, but 8 days in Europe beckoned first, once back I had catch up from work to deal with and then a weekend in kings lynn and chance to buy a couple of the things I would need from the local DIY stores before heading back and lost little time in getting to work

IMG_20190617_143829.jpg
Thermomal insulation

the tap will be used to seal the gaps

IMG_20190617_143840.jpg
tape

Decided to have a go at either videoing / picture diary of the events to show others what I have been upto as this is holding up any work on the Locost as I want to start painting of the smaller items or hopefully powder coating, boxing them up ready for final assembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfolkZj3e8g&t=4s
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Kegco wrote:Rich, I think when you get it right and your totally happy with it, you might be our new SKCC powder coating guy. Get ready for the queue of jobs :D

I’m first :lol:

Nice little project Rich, keep up the great work. :)
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:53 pm

I managed to get most of the oven apart in the short bit of time I had and then on the Sunday get the element out and decide what I was to keep long term so I could clear the garage a bit.
Also it looked like I could use the side panels as a liner for the roof and the floor of the oven and make use of the lagging that was around the grill and oven units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BvgeYRmY0

Had to order up tape that is used to protect areas not to be coated such as threads and also Acetone that is used as a prep of the metal to get rid of any debris just prior to spraying powder.
Had also ordered up high temp spray adhesive to use to stick the insulation to the inner walls, panels and also the Oven foil that is used to line the oven.
Rich.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:39 am

come on Rich, don't keep us in suspense.....is it operational yet??

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 am

greenwoo wrote:come on Rich, don't keep us in suspense.....is it operational yet??

And there me thinking you lot might be interested in seeing how it is done.

Videos are too long for U Tube, I also need to stagger it out so i can keep ahead of the sequence.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 am

Little teaser for you.
Attachments
AAA98D08-6913-4018-B45E-658C440BF576.jpeg

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Starting to fit the window

https://youtu.be/RuEApRIXh1Q

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 pm

so at the risk of asking daft questions....
there's a min temp that's needed - but is there a maximum temp, or optimum temp to do this at?

I think you said that it needs just 10 mins, is the window for any specific purpose - ie/ will you be able to see whether its 'done' or not?

Interesting to see/learn how the rockwool works out, as its pretty bulky in relation to its insulation properties.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:53 am

Viewing window allows you to see when the powder 'wets out'' goes shiny so you know it is getting close to the correct temp, allows you to see the internal temp gauge i'm using all without having to open the door and let the heat out.
Baking times differ for powder type, it was suggested in one of the many videos i have watched over the past weeks that too long could be bad for the powder, but cant find reference to it at the moment.
i was not a sure how good the thinner insulation types were compared to the norm and as others have had success with Rockwall type wanted to stay traditional as a fair bit to have to take it out if it did not work.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”