BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Wingco

Re: Tom Tom XXL

Postby Wingco » Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 am

Rickyrjb wrote:
Does the Start 52 have a removable memory card, my TomTom does so I drag and drop the Tyre file directly onto the card and they back into the TomTom and when your switch it on it askes if you would like to import the new routes.

Sounds like a plan I will have to check about the sd cars slot. Thanks

Graham b wrote : Prices may have changed.
Satnavrepairservice.com

Thanks Graham might be an option.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri May 15, 2020 9:12 am

i looked at the specs and tt forum advice for routes on the '52' - seems it does do them, but only via loading on to an SD card. That said, it's unclear whether the need to upload the route to the card and then insert in the device is due to the software not being able to handle 'importing' direct.

Personally i've never used TT software to import routes on any of the devices ( older than a '52' - i just connect it to the pc/lappy, then i dont allow the s/ware to automatically 'start up'....the device shows as an external drive and i drag/drop the itn. Could be that the '52' is similar in that respect...if it is, would be a good bet.
Otherwise ( atleast for me) sodding around with SD cards is a no no....too much faff as only have an SD slot on this lappy which is restrictive as then cant use the pc's....

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Fri May 15, 2020 12:46 pm

To be honest for the cost of a new TT and the benefits we get from them I’d just get a new one.
I used my nectar points as I had about 60 quids worth of them against a TT from Argos!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8862037 ... ial:1:80:1

I had a spare 16 gig micro sd card and use that for ITN files, I can either drop onto the sd card via pc or send the file through the TT website.
Some of the others have the higher spec model that has a SIM card built in but I have just paired my phone to it for the traffic option and any other data (like ITN files) or it connects to the WiFi when I am indoors.

The only downside to the newer TT’s is you can’t see any stops that might have been added to an ITN - not everyone does this when creating routes so it’s not an issue for me (Or other users - so far).

They seem to be releasing updates quite regularly too - new speed cameras come out every Thursday usually.

My old XXL died whist in Spain last year, it was a bit like triggers broom by this point though...
Team Green now

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri May 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Mark, Stevo.
Thanks for your input, good info from everyone again, I think I might bit the bullet and by TT 52, its cheap enough and now I know it has a sd card space then ill do what Stevo does.
Ill report back when I have bought it and used it.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:57 pm

yes please Colin,

one of my old ones had the removable card and was never an issue, just want one that works now and ideally shows the stopping points for the roadtrips.
rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”