Commentators, Newscasters and the like...

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Commentators, Newscasters and the like...

Postby greenwoo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:19 pm

I know we all have different patience levels, and that some accents however natural can jar for some ears and not others. But it makes me wonder sometimes who on earth in a production team decides to hire some folks, surely there's a representative panel to make judgements?

The latest bod to ruin (imho) a program is Varun someoneorother on sky sports F1....he's probably a nice guy, and knows his onions, but jeez - sales of Gold Blend have gone up since he started; Every time i hear his voice i have to leave the leave the room.

Vine of Radio2 is another whom I can't believe gets a contract let alone airtime - has an inability to listen, or to summarize and is rougher on the ear than any cheese grater.

So...come the revolution, who would get swapped out- and maybe replaced by xxxxx?
or who 'makes' a program for you, making you comfy like an old pair of slippers?

For me, Sid Waddell and darts. Not a darts watcher/fan at all, but i'd happily have that on in the background in years past just to hear his craziness & enthusiasm.
"William Tell could take an apple off your head, Taylor could take out a processed pea."

steve m

Re: Commentators, Newscasters and the like...

Postby steve m » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Have to agree with Vine, I turn over as soon as I hear hes voice
another one is Chris Evans, I can not abide looking at him, nor hear him, I cant stand anything he does nor want to hear about it !
Russell Brand = knob enough said
David Attenborough, I turn over as hes patronizing voice does my head in, or I watch blue planet with the volume off

Now two I thought I would hate, but ive warmed to them are Sarah Cox and Zoe Ball, I do not know why but both Ladies imho are doing ok

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 am

Oh good thread :D
Vine is defo on my list against the wall come the day.
Agree with Steve re Sara Cox I think she is great. Although not Zoe Ball as I feel like I'm been spoken to like a kid! Its NOT Alive 'n Kickin for gods sake!
Dont agree about Evan's though. I like him on the Radio and I like his positivity and enthusiasm (not so much on car shows).
I used to like Steve Wright in his Radio 1 days and he still does a good job on R2.
Simon Mayo when he did the drive time show by himself was great and I realise I listen to Radio 2 far too much!

I find it really depends on my mood as to who I like or who winds me up on any given day.

Following this post I now find myself analysing commentators all the time! I need to get out more :roll:
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

steve m

Postby steve m » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 am

Two more on my HATE list
Pieres Morgan, I HATE people who shout or talk over other "guests" Vine does the same thing in the talking over bit

Richard Hammond, = idiot, I found him incredibly annoying on TG, when I watched it, yet on Wipeout Hammond was exactly the right presenter, for the show, and he was quite funny,

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu May 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Ian Darke......nuff said.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 pm

I always really liked Charlie Cox (despite being an Aussie ) who commentated with Steve Parrish on MotoGP for years. He had loads of great one-liners and uttered the best commentary line ever:

Steve: Looks like *some racer* has got a tyre problem...
Charlie: yeah, they're not going round fast enough!!

Also, watch the rugby highlights show on Channel 5 with David Flatman and some other guy who's name I can't remember - they are really good together...

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”