Out there

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Martin S

Re: Out there

Postby Martin S » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Ummm....i haven't posted in a lonnng time...why????....i have been wondering whether to post a reply or not....i was very active on the forum for some time and really enjoyed it....untill i decided to change cars there is so much banter you can take...then it becomes piss taking.....i decided to sell and move on...i have wondered to drop in for brekkie know and then..we will see.....my plan is to get anouther kit in a year....will i post on hear i doubt it as i am sure the banter will start again.....but never say never...sorry to be blunt...martin

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm

It would be great to hear the negative comments you have heard so we can learn, and do things differently from them Lee.

I think like all social clubs there is an element of “old mates” causing wrong impressions. As some people know (via social media) I took up beekeeping 3 years ago and the two clubs I’ve joined have been really difficult to get fully involved in because the group of people that run it have been mates for ages!

Personally for me I cannot measure the amount of reward I’ve got from this club, The mates I’ve found and experiences I’ve had over the last 9 years will stay with me forever. Im one of the 20% I hope that contributes by posting regular runs but I’m very mindful that these are always early in the mornings and A few of us tend to be rather fast which may put people off - but after trying years to encourage others to post up alternatives and failing I now focus on the run outs that suit me, or the folk I know are going to join - I hope that’s not the feedback that Lee has got about making the club clique!

I think one of the issues nowadays is that a lot of people have moved on, and there is a lack of people getting into this hobby - our very first road trip had in excess of 20 cars, now the two European trips have under 10 every time, the missing have simply moved on!

I’d love to hear opinions from those that feel the club isn’t for them, I for one am willing to try new things.

Typed in my phone so excuse any spelling or strange expressions.....

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:00 pm

This has certainly started a thread/talk
I’ll echo all that’s been said, for me I’ve reduced my posts as I’m not building anymore plus I now have/buy cars that are considerably better put together so no need to ask how to polish etc, I like reading certain posts and some I don’t read/get involved in, likes been said I don’t have anything constructive to add so it’s just a read and move on, if I’ve read your post correctly you said you’ve arrange to meet up with other clubs once your cars built ? I can’t really see how that would improve this club ? Why not put a run post up ?

@ Martin
Mate, no one means any harm at all, I think with your buying/not buying sort makes people say things they do and it’s purely banter, if anyone, me included has upset you then I’ll apologise on there behalf, it wasn’t meant that way, feel free to post up if you need advice on buying a new kit mate, all my comments will be clowning around as per :D
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 pm

I find that I tend to not spot some posts as I quite often look at the forum on my phone which doesn’t show the latest posts at the side so I don’t go into some of the parts of the forum very often.
I also haven’t posted much lately as I’ve been quite busy doing other things and just haven’t had the time to get out in the car or even do anything on it.
I also go out with a mini club occasionally but I do find them to be clicky and it’s harder to get involved, whereas when I started getting involved with the skcc I found everyone friendly and helpful

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 pm

I've been a member of numerous forums over the years (motorbikes, caravans, tin tops etc, etc) and EVERY single one of them has had at least one thread like this at some point :D

You're not doing anything wrong IMO - personally, I'm an unsociable git, I prefer driving by myself and I'm rubbish at early morning starts, hence I'm not out much ;) - nothing personal.

But I do regularly lurk on here, enjoy reading everyone's waffle and I occasionally butt in (like now). The only improvement for me would be more pics when people do go out - I'm nosey that way :)

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am

Thought long and hard about a response and cannot but agree with all that has been said. I am not a builder, nor ever have been and quite frankly it just isn't my bag. That said I do find the threads of those compulsive builders, upgraders or mere fiddlers fascinating. They prompt ideas and get me thinking. Without the forum that wouldn't happen. Like Nelmo, I can be solitary and Jill and I just get in the car and go to the pub if the weather is nice and it really is a spur of the moment thing. Luckily, I have a good lady who loves the car as much as I do and has always supported me in my hobby of "little cars". I am also getting older and still working and find getting up very early on a Sunday morning less and less to my liking. For a run from say Bucks Barn starting at 7.15 I would almost be up before I have gone to bed. Well done to all those who do get up you have clearer roads and I quite see the logic behind it. Last weekend I stuck my toe in the water and ventured out with Kent 7's ( hoots of derision I do hear) The run started at 8.30 and did a great route using the Lydd ring and the Military canal. Sure there were the more senior drivers ( and I am one of them) but some younger guys too. All were welcoming to me the newbie and if anything it shows how the other half lives!! I wish I could afford such exotica especially as a husband and wife turned up in their 420R and 360R's. Lovely couple and keen to blat. No snobby behaviour as has been thought in the past but just nice people like we have here on the SKCC forum. There will always be disagreements and differences but that is healthy and provokes discussion. I am sure that the forum is not dying but merely morphing into something else which fits better with the current world we all live in and there are sufficient numbers here to keep it going and friendships made, whether it be SKCC comrades or not, are hard to break in the main.
James
The man in the Red Coat

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 am

Like James I have thought long and hard about a reply, probably what im goin to say people will say i havent thought long and hard enough !!
I for one love this club, it has helped me out when i had issues a good few years ago, it got me out and meeting different people who loved cars. I like the way people except like my self cant spell etc, it is what it is. I love reading all the car builds even if its not a kit car, or your not using it for the road, I just like all things cars.
We are all not getting any youger, I for one struggle to get up early to go out with the club on various runs, but I do love reading about them. Again like James, Sue and myself venture out in the car for a sunday roast which I like doing, Sue enjoys the car as well as long as the go faster pedal is moderated.
I keep saying it, I must join one of the road trips and I will as I again love reading the reports of the trips.
I have changed jobs recently and I am finding less time to follow the forum, but like others look at the forum on my phone to catch up on things, again i don't write alot as its not easy using a mobile.
Last year was my best year in the car, ok the weather helped alot, i also enjoyed going to some of the car advents which Matt and Kevin organised. At these advents we were advertising SKCC with hand outs I had done and genrally welcoming new people who maybe interested.
I hope the club continues because of the hard work put in by the management and other helpfull people. Like most clubs, wether its football, rugby any club is always the same faces organising and setting up things for the club.
I must / will try harder to get back involved with SKCC.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

graham b

Postby graham b » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:51 am

Mmm , well what can i say , maybe just this,
as one of the older members i dont have any trouble getting up early for a run, indeed , during the lighter mornings, i would advocate even earlier runs,
that said , if others want a later start just pop your hand up (or PM me) and we can try it.
this club is for its members , as mark has pointed out, and is run by the members , (overseen by the management) so if you dont ask ..you dont get.
i am not a builder so dont comment on those technical posts.
and given the car i have now some would say i am not a driver either but a hairdresser...so now i come to the pi$$ taking and banter....i love it all ...so carry on chaps....yes i am juvenile at times.
sometimes when posting a run several names are added at once , generally this is because i text various people to encourage them out on a Sunday, and when i am told they would like to come i post the list, tony b and i often text to sort a run, why not i ask... without tony and me ,lately anyway,
there would not be as many Sunday runs ,
(because others have had family & other troubles)

i praise mark for starting this club & for doing what he does to keep it going.
if you think there are cliques in this club you have never been a member of the westfield club or the lotus 7 bunch...what we have here are friends who enjoy each others company...hang on that may be a clique :D
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am

I don't think anyone should be justifying why or why they don't go out on runs, it's a recreational activity/hobby and as soon as there is pressure put on people it becomes less fun.

Forums are old hat now thanks to social media, having easy accessible apps where you can pop in and out without signing in and searching topics is just more convenient. I have actually deleted faceache off my phone recently as it's too easy to waste an evening looking at what some you haven't seen since school had for dinner, i'd delete it completely if it wasn't for the business we get through these platforms.

I think there are a lot of misunderstandings on the internet on forums and social media, quite often a one word answer which is more acceptable on facebook could be taken as someone being rude on a forum, also I think different generations react differently too, some may take great offence by what they read but need to think if they heard a bunch of blokes in a pub having the same dialect they'd see it to be how it was meant to be taken and not have an opinion. Hate to use the word snowflake but there are some easily offended people if the banter in here has upset them.

Lee, your comment on a thread about camshafts recently is probably a prime example of how people can take things the wrong way and what effect that can have on people wanting to comment.

There will always be the 'hardcore' section of the club, the grahams/tonys/kenton who can get out on almost every run, the road trips will always have the same core people in each one and there will always be those that splinter off and do their own thing. It's no different from going to a pub and seeing how people get along and interact.

There are 2 different types of people in this world, drains and radiators.
9 is more than a number

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:25 am

graham b wrote:if you think there are cliques in this club you have never been a member of the westfield club or the lotus 7 bunch...what we have here are friends who enjoy each others company...hang on that may be a clique :D

You forgot the Robin Hood club :roll: :D
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”