SMART tv - HUH!

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

SMART tv - HUH!

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:54 pm

Well having bitten the bullet a few weeks back we have now entered the 21st century, and have a so called smart tv.....
But i;m not so sure about the 'smart' part.

We have a 30 sec power cut earlier, and i don't think i'm too bad around 'gear'....but for the life of me i couldn't get the bastard thing to reconnect to the wifi to watch a bit of amazon.
'Connected but no signal'

FFS i deleted the network, resinstalled the network, said 3 HailMarys and zip, zilch, nada

Turns out that the power cut had reset the date/time, and although the tv was configured to set itself automatically - it still didnt work. Why? well 'automatically ' setting the time doesnt quite do that, nope, seems you have to set it to pick the time off the network. Smart? My ass!

Only sharing in case anyone else ever stumbles down a rabbit hole like this and wants to save themselves 3 cats, 2 vases and an hour of their life.

David T

Re: SMART tv - HUH!

Postby David T » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 pm

We've got two Samsung ones and whilst they are great TVs, the wi-fi is very flaky for the initial connection and after that, the speed is not good. Hence solving with the powerline adapter.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:58 pm

^^^ What David said..

Powerline type thing with a router attached, in the AV cabinet, all smart devices PS4 etc plugged in, job done.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:55 pm

I to bit the bullet and got a smart tv, as people have said wifi not good but now hard wired it in to a switch box now all good.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:15 pm

Wingco wrote:I to bit the bullet and got a smart tv, as people have said wifi not good but now hard wired it in to a switch box now all good.

This....Ethernet is king of the reliable/fast connectivity.

steve m

Postby steve m » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am

Ethernet cable is fine for one of my smart Tv's but the other is 30 meters away from the router
so its wifi, and has a surprisingly good signal,

We have just had an hour long power cut, so does that mean the TV may need resincing ?

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:18 am

steve m wrote:Ethernet cable is fine for one of my smart Tv's but the other is 30 meters away from the router
so its wifi, and has a surprisingly good signal,

We have just had an hour long power cut, so does that mean the TV may need resincing ?

steve

for some reason Im just shocked you have a smart TV, given your feedback on TV in general I assumed there would never be anything smart about it - I reckon its obviously so you can use catch up tv on Im a celeb and BGT!! :lol:

steve m

Postby steve m » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 am

Very good Tony, and predictable :D

I do watch TV, mainly the History channels, PBS,plus any of the Aircraft or car related ones, but the ones like Wheeler Dealer and Gas Monkey, Car SOS, I will only watch if severely bored
as there all like watching Groundhog day, as there EXACTLEY the same, but with a different car!

Infact there are many programmes I will watch, but refuse to watch any crap, that has anything to do with reality shows, or any soaps, or have people arguing like J Kyle etc and of coarse anything with three stooges in pretending and failing to be funny

steve
:D :D :D :D
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 pm

steve m wrote: and of coarse anything with three stooges in pretending and failing to be funny

steve
:D :D :D :D

You be no good on any of our roads trips then Steve.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”