EDF Smart meter.

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

b33fy

EDF Smart meter.

Postby b33fy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Probably a bit late to the party with these, had one installed today after a few missed meter readings and a monthly payment adjustment to close to £400 per month. :shock: Booked the apppointment Friday, came today.

For those that haven’t got one, hand held device gives a live consumption display, along with other options such as daily, weekly and monthly consumption. Free to install. Made a few adjustments around the house, down to 5p an hour.. daren’t turn the oven on, and the underfloor heatings been banned :lol:

Meter readings go every half hour to EDF by built in SIM card so hopefully no more surprises.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: EDF Smart meter.

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:36 pm

think i'd be paranoid about the usage!
Joking apart, i used to have a device that gave a real time reading as a standalone, it was surprising how many little things that weren't really being used contributed to the overall total. Got pretty good at shutting stuff off....and then i'd blow it by leaving the air con all night in the office!

EDF - my fav supplier....had a 2 month row some years back when a meter rolled over the max number and didn't restart properly. Was a bit shocked to get a bill just shy of 10k !
Took forever to argue that it was clearly wrong....

will prob get a smart meter when we switch out of Scott Power in a few weeks.....

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:22 pm

I had a smart meter installed about 2 years ago and then about 6 weeks ago I got a direct debit increase from £54 a month to £250 per month! I called BG and the bill was based on an estimate. Said I had a SM and they looked back and found it had stopped sending readings 6 months ago. The gas meter had failed and although I didn't know it seems neither did BG.

Meters are great and help budget however worthy of note is they are not universal so if you switch suppliers they may stop working.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm

greenwoo wrote:think i'd be paranoid about the usage!

Siting in the dark on the computer :lol:
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

graham b

Postby graham b » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 pm

as far as i am aware generation 2 smart meters do allow you
to switch suppliers,
but not gen 1 with some suppliers.

i may be wrong having been out of the game for almost 2 years .....praise the lord :D
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm

well, to put it in context Mike....my utility bills per month for lpg/calor & elec 5years ago were £450 a mth.....
no one told me that the pond/stream pumps were drawing 3kw an hour, or that the garden floodlights were 2kw every hr through the night, or that the Aga was chewing through about £50/70 a week in gas.
Didn't help that i left pc's on 24/7, spare freezers/fridges that didnt need to really be on...
even culling at todays prices leaves a nasty hole in the pocket.....

think candles, extra sweaters and a dynamo powered pc is the way forward...

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 pm

greenwoo wrote:

well, to put it in context Mike....my utility bills per month for lpg/calor & elec 5years ago were £450 a mth.....
no one told me that the pond/stream pumps were drawing 3kw an hour, or that the garden floodlights were 2kw every hr through the night, or that the Aga was chewing through about £50/70 a week in gas.
Didn't help that i left pc's on 24/7, spare freezers/fridges that didnt need to really be on...
even culling at todays prices leaves a nasty hole in the pocket.....

think candles, extra sweaters and a dynamo powered pc is the way forward...

With those numbers you are in wind, sun and Reed bed justification arent you Mark?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:42 pm

It’s certainly opened my eyes.. sitting here ticking over at 472 watts. Keeping it just in the green, lol.

Swmbo hit the hairdryer earlier, don’t want too much of that... and no more switching the fan oven on just to bake a potato..

Thinking of rationalising fridges and freezers, got rid of the American fridge freezer, ice maker.. etc. Still got two (of each) on the go for three of us. :roll:

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 pm

With those numbers you are in wind, sun and Reed bed justification arent you Mark?

no i don't think so Neil....maybe when the feed in rebates were higher solar might have been an option, but a very long term one, given that i'd not want the panels on the roof, so extra expense of creating a remote array. Wind....dont know how good those are these days, did investigate and again was a nightmare logistically as they're not supposed to be near trees.....and we're surrounded....
reed bed - that's just waste no?

we've eaten away at bits n bobs and now more acceptable; Aga turned off and wood burner heats that room and 4-5 others during winter. Stream, frankly turned the pumps off as couldnt justify the £'s, switched out heavy duty lights for sodium, led's now indoors, pc's set to go to sleep or turned off, hell, i even turn the office lights off i'f i go for a dog walk! Even with that we chew through 25/30kw a day at this time of year. New boiler fitted end last year, so hoping gas will be less this coming period.
Not much more to tweak as far as i can see.....

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 pm

My Tennant has got a smart meter it was reading 0.72p this morning had a bit of plumbing issues with the hot water so had my Cuz around to sort it, tonight I got text message saying her smart meter is now reading £406.00, I phoned him and he said he had to unplug it for a couple of seconds while he was looking at the boiler.
Told her to phone her provider and they reset it over the phone.
You would of thought it would of had a back battery.
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”