Apple, TYRE and 'modern' TomToms

Off Topic Forum for all non car comments and disussion

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Apple, TYRE and 'modern' TomToms

Postby Rexholme » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi

I use a MacBook and own TomTom 6100. This combination is not particularly *.itn friendly. TYRE appears not to be Mac OS compatible and the TomTom uses *.gpx. However I have a work round which uses Route Converter (offline variant) but I want to check whether anyone knows of a better/more efficient way?

Graham B was kind enough to send me his last members run out so I could test it.

Trigger: Receive *.itn

Step 1. Save and name *.itn file

Step 2. Open Route Converter. From the menu bar running across the top of the screen, select File-> Open and select the *.itn file you just saved.

Step 3. Select File-> Save As and change the file format to 'GPS Exchange Format 1.0 (*. gpx)'. You can choose to rename the file if you wish to distinguish it form the *.itn.

Step 4. Delete the original *.itn file. You no longer need it.

Step 5. Log into https://mydrive.tomtom.com/

Step 6. Open ‘My Routes’ from the menu bar on the left hand side (it’s the 4th one down on my screen).

Step 7. Import the .GPX file you created and it should appear under “My Routes’

Step 8. Click on the route name. You need to select the switch (turn green) for ’Sync this route as a track with my devices’
(At this point you can click the pencil icon in the right hand corner of the menu edit the route name on your TomTom, give it a picture, a description, a tag etc.)

DONE

Any better suggestions?

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Apple, TYRE and 'modern' TomToms

Postby greenwoo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:57 pm

err not sure about Mac's,but i think you can use a windows emulator and then run the normal TYRE program on your Mac. If so, then you'd create/receive the file as an itn and then convert it yourself to a GPX file, and just connect the tomtom to the lappie as an external drive ( ie/ no need to fire up totomhome/mytomtom) and copy the file across into the relevant folder.
Having said that....i really dont know anything about Mac's, so can you just plug in the ttom as an external using the usb andnot bother to fire up the ttom program? ( you can on a windows machine)....

OR....just ask the person that creates the route to do you a favour and save an extra copy as a gpx....

Or - get a windows lappie and an old tomtom :lol:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 pm

I use route Converter on Linux as it is Java based and works on anything. Unfortunately, Google Maps have just ruined the excellent online version, but the offline one works fine, but no longer gives an estimated journey time, I just assume approximately 35mph.

As far as new TomToms and GPX files, I can't help, sorry.
Duncan

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:19 pm

I only use ITN converter which will allow you to save the route as any file type. Like M said you should just be able to plug the TT into your lappy and save it direct to the device - although I know Apples are pretty shite at most things and might not allow you to do that

http://www.benichou-software.com/index. ... =3&lang=en

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Cheers guys.

Sounds like 'Download *.int-> Convert to preferred format -> Upload' is the easiest way whether you use Route Converter or INT Convert then. Thanks.

Now I just need to see whether I can do something clever about accessing 'Surrey's Great Driving Road and Routes'... Damn browsers! :x

Mike

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 pm

greenwoo wrote: Or - get a windows lappie and an old tomtom :lol:

What have aircon and computers got in common? They don't work when you open windows :P
In fairness the sat nav was free due to mistake by Amazon - they sent two! But if I were in the market for a new TTom, I would get a motorbike variant. They have cowl which means you can see them in bright sunlight, they're glove friendly, got bluetooth (i.e. head-sets/earphones) and work when the screen is either portrait or landscape (like a mobile phone).

greenwoo wrote: so can you just plug in the ttom as an external using the usb andnot bother to fire up the ttom program? ( you can on a windows machine)....

No need to plug in unless you're doing a software update. You just go to the link I provided, log-in, upload and select 'send to my device'. Next time you turn-on the TTom, the route will be available because the device uploaded it via the sim and mobile data included.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:04 am

No need to plug in unless you're doing a software update. You just go to the link I provided, log-in, upload and select 'send to my device'. Next time you turn-on the TTom, the route will be available because the device uploaded it via the sim and mobile data included.

ah technology......whatever next. Sparky J on here has a newish ttom, nice bit of kit, but i looked at the cost of the smart ones a year or so back after losing one and fell off my chair. Luckily mine sits in the perfect poistion by the aero/behind the wheel and generally sun doesnt affect the view too much. Given i like to have a spare the old'uns are my own way forward.

as for Apple.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:42 am

Don’t mention Apple... too late. :P
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm

I use this: https://eelcov.home.xs4all.nl/itgen/ thinks also been affected by the google update but still usable.
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

steve m

Postby steve m » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm

As I havnt got a clue what all you lot are talking about ^^^^, and being an IT numpty
Perhaps we could have another "Tyre/sat nav" pub meet like we did many years ago,

It was fun, and informative, and i also managed to download Tyre, and eventually got the maps on my TT
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”