Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Man Cave Mk2

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm

Wow, its amazing what you can do with a sledge hammer and brute force

Let me fix that for you....

its amazing what JAMES can do with a sledge hammer and brute force :lol: :lol:

Nice going Mike. Bummer about 'Da Covid', hope you've seen it off completely.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:23 pm

greenwoo wrote:
Wow, its amazing what you can do with a sledge hammer and brute force

Let me fix that for you....

Nice going Mike. Bummer about 'Da Covid', hope you've seen it off completely.

Thanks Mark. Took a while to shake it off, all good now. Sledgehammers are so last year.. Weapon of choice, Dewalt 54 volt SDS Drill, set on hammer, with a flat chisel bit. A seriously good bit of kit, highly recommended. I pinged off the bricks and cleaned them up. James palletised them ready for selling. 1000 or so at a £1 each, he gets to keep whatever he makes, job done.

Got the acrows down after a bit of remedial work on the joists, really pleased with the space. Using hard hats as the previous owners (the council) knocked a hole though in the loft and left boulders up in the void. Found a skull breaker today when ripping down another ceiling just balancing on a joist.
Attachments
EBD377A7-A978-4E50-A921-5FDF8D847C4B.jpeg
BFBB662C-9CA6-4862-A791-144EC2AFFCD0.jpeg
740B986D-4AF6-4450-9A22-FF900163BECF.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:17 pm

:lol: :lol: I should have know that Mark.

Great effort Mike again, no stopping you now. Hard hats are trendy !!
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:47 pm

Crikey that rock on the joist is very dangerous!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:13 pm

DJ. wrote:Crikey that rock on the joist is very dangerous!

Fingers crossed hopefully cleared them all out now Duncan.

Opening from day space through to what will be the hall is quite the challenge. Very slow going, mostly sandstone with a couple of granite lumps strategical placed to cause us grief. There’s a flue built into the wall creating a void and some later mods done by the council so it’s a bit of a mess. Hole is now open and we’ve started to make good and install the bearing pads. Looking forward to getting it sorted and secure.
Attachments
47C2085E-7FFF-404E-A98E-BBD2A12E68BD.jpeg
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 pm

Week of doing very little last week other than sorting out some urgent housekeeping, catching up with the architect for the new build and meeting with a solicitor re: some conveyancing. Opening is finally sorted. Gotta sort out the rotten lintel and council bodge in the top left hand corner at some point.

Decided to stick with the inside for now until it warms up a bit and remove a fireplace and another wall next.
Attachments
2BBB437D-FE30-4916-BEB5-61282EF12776.jpeg

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:50 am

Knocked out another wall and fireplace to create some more space what will be the utility room. A stud wall will be reinstated eventually. Some unplanned work, sorting a rotten linte and the bodge in the previous post. Doorway will not be needed so decided to brick it up, remove lintel and fill in the void. Not my favourite job as it’s not the easiest job in the world. Nearly done, last bit to go.

Took a look at the floor, found some rotten joists and wall plate, an easy fix albeit expensive and time consuming. Ripped out old wiring and shoved some site lights in. Had a couple of possible high voltage cables going through the yard, hired a scanner to check them out. Hoping to start on the extension once the lintel is sorted. Bought a new laser level, can’t beat a gadget!
Attachments
A00D3B35-4405-43EB-A46A-63E9B13771AB.jpeg
1B6657D7-7CCB-4587-BFE6-DC415002E358.jpeg

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:25 pm

haha, by the time you've finished you'll have more 'gear' than the Sinola Cartel....

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:45 am

I'm starting to wonder how much of the original building will be left! I am sure it will be amazing when finished, but you are much braver than me. Aren't you thinking of going back to work to have a rest?

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 am

DJ. wrote:I'm starting to wonder how much of the original building will be left! I am sure it will be amazing when finished, but you are much braver than me. Aren't you thinking of going back to work to have a rest?

To be honest Duncan, I’m wondering the same! Just ripped out the last of the lath and plaster today, fireplace is next. The floor has sunk due to rotten joists, so that’s gotta come out now as well. The individual jobs are relatively straight forward it’s just there’s a lot of them! Can’t think of anything worse than returning to a 9-5 except more money. :lol:

Been distracted a little with the planning. Planning officer says no to the new build. So have had to turn the bullsh1t machine up a few notches to complete an appeal statement. Got bored so decided to see how useless words an architect uses I could include… vernacular, aesthetic, juxtaposition, etc.

Best I came up with ..bend the planning officer into a juxtaposition and shove my size 13 up his vernacular without an aesthetic..

Seems to be the norm here, spineless planners can’t make a decision, unless it’s a characterless block and render construction in a new town, so they pass the buck to the appeal panel.
Last edited by b33fy on Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion - Non Car Related”