Proper Sportsmen - Moto GP - Real Racers?

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Re: Proper Sportsmen - Moto GP - Real Racers?

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Isn't Dan's missus tall! And looks a lot like Camier ;)

.......... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Back to the original post. I understand the point being made and the fact that F1 for example can be dull to watch from a racing point of view (not this year I would add) but I look for more then hooligan's trading paint from a race.

The reason I love F1 is that it is on the edge of what is possible and the fact that they can interprate a set of rules in so many different ways and still be within a whisker of each other amazes me and if you have ever watched a Red Bull go round Copse at full chat in the flesh you would be in awe.

Another example is Thrust projects. Thrust SSC was amazing yet simply a vehicle going in a straight line.

My point is racing and racing drivers are all Heroes regardless of what they drive. As are the brains and brawn behind them.

......... Neil

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm sorry but F1 (since the advent of wings in 1968) is not a patch on MotoGP in racing terms. In the last Moto2 race there was something like 20 bikes within 2 secs of each other for most of the race....In F1 terms 2 secs and the guy is about to overtake. F1 is not in the same league as Bike racing.....try Daytona for the Nascar race if you want to see close car racing.

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Rossi is probably the best of all time in any motor sport and comes over as a nice bloke as do most of the bikers.
You either love or hate F1 i love it yum yum but i would say that most racing drivers should take their heads out of their own arses sometimes and have a look around.

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:23 am

Jeff, not disagreeing, bike racing is close and exciting and whether it's MotoGP or World or British Superbikes or in fact the TT it's a pleasure to both watch and admire.

In the same breath having watched F1 since 76 (James Hunt has a lot to answer for :D ) and watching it grow and grow there has also been a lot to enjoy both racing and technologically.

If its racing It's all good :ugeek:

......... Neil

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:58 pm

I was with you right up until the last word is it in Wales!

James

Postby James » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:28 pm

For me Moto GP vs F1 is a bit like Football vs Rugby,

Moto GP is awsome, interesting and fun to watch alot like rugby....

F1 & Football is boring after the first corner....

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:09 pm

well little did i realise when i opened this thread up that it would be the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch - nice to see some diverse opinions.
What can we deduce:
1/ Rossi is held as the numero uno on 2 wheels
2/ Followers of 2 wheels in the main believe that the riders have more balls and the sport provides greater entertainment
3/ followers of GP are perhaps keen on innovation and times gone by - when 'anti heros' ruled ( Hunt etc )
4/ that we all love things that are powered by noisy engines and race in whatever format.
5/ that as with all other things in this world - its each to their own, no right, no wrong, just whatever suits and fits best.

Right, will get my thinking cap on for the next hot topic. I'm thinking, 'Spelling, is it overated ? ' :-)

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:29 am

greenwoo wrote:
Right, will get my thinking cap on for the next hot topic. I'm thinking, 'Spelling, is it overated ? ' :-)

Spelling and Punctuation ! ;)
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:31 am

We need big engines in marginal chassis with little Aero....something like CanAm cars. When the chassis is too good with good Aero and little power it is boring (WTCC, BTCC & F1 leap to mind). Only when something goes wrong or, in the touring car instance, they start hitting each other, does it become exciting. My test used to be as follows (remembering I have driven upto F3000 cars and ridden big bikes for many years)...

1. Could I get a F1 car round a track in a OK time....answer is probable but not many laps (neck would go)
2. Could I get a MotoGP bike round a track .....no I'd kill myself in the first few corners. This really applied to the 500cc two strokes and the the 990cc MotoGP bikes before traction control/electronics.

If we want F1 to be exciting we need big engines (or turbos) on different V configurations in cars with high mechanical grip (big tyres) and little or no Aero outside of the underneath of the car. They need to be able to drive close to each other and the Tyres need to go off before the end of the race.

MotoGP (and all Bike sport) you see the rider working at his trade, in F1 you see the very top of their helmets. Which is why Rossi is the GOAT and the current crop of F1 cars/drivers are pretty boring, did I mention that F1 races are too long and I fall asleep in the middle (which is not an indication of a high level of excitement).

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”