Proper Sportsmen - Moto GP - Real Racers?

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Proper Sportsmen - Moto GP - Real Racers?

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Whilst i love to watch a decent game of footie, the rolling around on the ground as if in their final death throes does somewhat pi$$ me off, a stark contrast to rugby where playing on through pain is normal.
Which leads me nicely to F1 and Moto GP. I'll watch the Grand Prix but it doesnt stir the soul, perhaps a lack of characters is one of the reasons that it doesnt hold my attention, or perhaps the fact that its so clinical and calculating in terms of strategy - and by the time i've been told how many millions are being paid to these sterile automatons, well that tops it off nicely!

So i was a bit surprised and pleased to see that Mr Rossi was back in the saddle again for the Moto GP this weekend, just a few weeks after breaking his leg. I'd read in the papers that he's the main draw and the sport needed him to keep the show on the road, who knows what the truth is in terms of whether he was pushed into an early return or not. What blew me away was the fact that he was not only on the bike but doing his thing, challenging and swapping places with Stoner for 3rd place right up to the last lap, when in reality he could have settled for 4th spot and jogged round. a real racer!

Fury1630

Re: Proper Sportsmen - Moto GP - Real Racers?

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:50 pm

greenwoo wrote:when in reality he could have settled for 4th spot and jogged round. a real racer!

I watched a Moto GP a while back - don't know which, but the situation was:-

1/ Rossi was second & leading the championship.
2/ The guy leading the race was nowhere in the championship.
3/ Those two were 1/2 lap ahead of the rest of the pack.
4/ The guy that was second in the championship was nowhere in the race.
5/ It was starting to drizzle.

So the obvious thing to do was stick in second, take the points, maybe try for an overtake on the last lap? It was starting to rain, so let the guy in front make the mistakes yes? After all there's nothing to lose, if he pushes too hard on the damp track, you get warning as he falls off & first place by default.

So about five laps from the end, Rossi overtakes the other guy, pushes too hard, slides off, gets back on the bike & comes in 5th.

Obviously coming second isn't a viable option for the guy!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Valentino Rossi is the GOAT (Greatest of all Time) and a really nice bloke (I've met him on a few occasions). MotoGP, WSBK & BSB are the things I watch on the telly, go to the British WSBK rounds & MotoGP plus we went to several European WSBK races when Foggy was in his prime.

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Amazing, coming back with a broken leg....

I'd like to see a football player coming on with a broken arm on something.... pffft they get paid too much !!!

I like the watching touring cars too sometimes... better than F1
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:49 pm

I dont mind the Touring cars but it seems to be a bit of a joke, clip the guy in front mid corner and slide on by as he vainly fights a spin.....

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:02 pm

I was at the WTCC race at Brands yesterday. Watching the Seat Diesels going past was very boring. The Maserati Cup cars are bloody loud though !

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 pm

thats what we need Jeff - LOUD. The ruling bodies should make it a condition that cars must exceed a certain DB level to compete, whatever next eh? audi's and pugs sounding like scalextric cars at le mans, diels in the WTCC.....i saw that clip of the crash at yesterdays race, goodness me that was close to wiping a few folks out!

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 pm

BSB for me. One of the few things SWMBO got involved with last year - I wonder why :o
Attachments
img001.jpg
img001.jpg (301.61 KiB) Viewed 3185 times

James

Postby James » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:55 am

dan why has your misses got a hat on ?

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 am

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”