Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold 29/30 Aug 2010

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

MangoFury
Site Admin

Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold 29/30 Aug 2010

Postby MangoFury » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi All

Here's an outing the group might like to consider. It's at the Dunsfold Airfield in Surrey where they film Top Gear. I've been to the show for the last two years and it's a great day out. Last year was a little overcast but the flying display is pretty good (Red Arrows included) and there are some cools cars blasting down the runway.

Here's the good bit for us. They have areas for car clubs and by having a display area you get discounted entry.

From the website at http://www.wingsandwheels.net/motoring.html

Static Car and Motorbike Clubs
At Wings & Wheels, Car and Motorbike Clubs are provided with the opportunity to attend the Show at a discounted admission rate to display up to 40 cars and/or motorbikes in the central grassed arena.
A discount of 40% is offered, making the price of a car and driver £12 and each additional passenger £12 and a child £5.
This special offer is available only by advance postal booking no later than the 2 July 2010.
Car and motorbike clubs are now invited to participate in the 2010 Show by downloading and completing the booking form. To download the form click here.

Note: the downloadable form to apply for a club pitch includes the conditions:

Car/Motorbike Club participants arriving after 08.30 will be refused entry and parked in the
general public car park. Tickets are non-refundable.

Anyone up for it?

David
2009 Fisher Fury, 2 litre standard Zetec, Honda TBs, Megasquirt ECU

Fury1630

Re: Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold 29/30 Aug 2010

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 pm

I've been there too & yes it's a good day - AND I won't be in Cornwall when it's on this year :D .

Do we get to drive the runway? There were some Ultimas & a z-cars mini out amoungst the old racers & ferarris last time I was there, OK it's straight - which as we know isn't fun, but at least you can go as fast as the car can go. Though if it all happens don't be surprised if you see a tear in my eye - I used to work there & it was just SUCH a fantastic place :cry:

So I'd be in - especially if I get to drive the runway.
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Wings & Wheels '08
Image2.jpg (286.75 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Last edited by Fury1630 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

mmmm i missed this last year, will have to check about date for entries......

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Blimey K2 RUM didnt realise that was still around... or maybe its just the number plate thats original :mrgreen:
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

AshG

Postby AshG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 pm

I go every year but never actually go into the show. my friends nice country house overlooks the airfield. all the planes turn round over their roof so low that the windows rattle. the view is 100times better that in the crowd at the show. there is also bbq and beer on offer :D.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:26 pm

David, do you have time to do a little digging into this event? i'd certainly be up for it - but wouldnt mind at all if someone like your good self wants to try their organizational skills :)
would def be up for the last down the runway!!!! ( i think there's an extra cost for that? if so i'm still up for that!!)

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:02 am

Is this still on the radar :?: The link doesn't work but I would be interested in a day out here :)

Discuss

............ Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:12 am

Doesnt look like the link from Google works either, I'd love to go but it's the 29th and 30th August so will be in the Dominican Republic instead !!

MangoFury
Site Admin

Postby MangoFury » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:22 am

According to the Wings and Wheels website:

At Wings & Wheels, Car and Motorbike Clubs are provided with the opportunity to attend the Show at a discounted admission rate to display up to 40 cars and/or motorbikes in the central grassed arena.
A discount of 40% is offered, making the price of a car and driver £12 and each additional passenger £12 and a child £5.
This special offer is available only by advance postal booking no later than the 2 July 2010.
Car and motorbike clubs are now invited to participate in the 2010 Show by downloading and completing the booking form.

If a group are thinking of going it's worth submitting an entry to get a dedicated parking area closer to the action and a lower entry cost.
I did email the organisers because my only concern about the club pitches is that last year they put some of them very close to the runway rope barrier so that the public were putting chairs, etc too close to the cars. I asked them if they were going to keep all the pitches further away this time. No reply. Tried phoning them a couple of times but never got any one answering.

Anyway, I won't now be going as I'll be holiday. Going to RIAT in July so will still get a good airshow in this year.

MangoFury
Site Admin

Postby MangoFury » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:26 am

Further to my last post, I have now received an email reply to my question about the positioning of the car areas.

My original emailed question:
4/5/2010
Hello, I attended the show in 2008 and 2009 and would like to do so again in 2010. However, this year I would like to attend with a group from my kit car club and have a section in the car display area. My only concern is that last year (unlike the year before) some of the car display areas were very close to the runway perimeter rope and therefore the public had deck chairs, picnic kit and children very close to the cars. It made it difficult for the public to get a good viewing spot and doubtless made car owners nervous that their pride and joy may get scratched.
Is there a plan to revert to the 2008 approach where the display areas are distanced from the prime viewing spots?

And the answer:
29/6/2010
Dear David,
My apologies for not getting back to you with an answer sooner, I had to wait until meeting with the logistical team to discuss this question. Following this meeting I can now confirm that the car display area will be the same position as 2009 with no plans to revert to the 2008 approach.

Kind regards,
Sarah Bullen
PR & Events Assistant
01483 542226

As I said in my earlier post, I am not able to go now but in case anyone is thinking of going the above info may be of interest.

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”