VR SIM racing

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

leegav

VR SIM racing

Postby leegav » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Well after some serious thought (5 minutes) and some discussions with the long haired sgt major... I bought a full VR simulator racing kit this week.
Tried one out at my brother in laws last week.

When I say this thing is incredible I really mean it.

Probably really hard for some guys to turn to but after been a full blown.."i will never touch it" to experiencing it and now buying a full kit says it all really.

Don't knock it until you've tried it... And you just need to try it. The way you can set up cars and the feedback you get from a decent peddle and wheel at up is incredible.

Racing with half a dozen other mk, caterham and MNR owners who race in the real mag 7 series on a Friday and Sunday evenings is a hell of a lot of fun...and the whole set up I virtual reality cost me the same as a full days testing at Silverstone with petrol...

To give you an idea of how good this is... YouTube - project cars 2 VR SIM racing... It's the set up I have in the loft right now :P :o :D :D
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

nelmo

Re: VR SIM racing

Postby nelmo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:30 pm

I just bought a reasonable wheel and pedals for my sons computer. Been playing Asseto Corsa and it is awesome... I'm not too bothered with racing because I'm not good enough and don't have enough time to get better but just driving different cars and comparing times is huge fun (a 400bhp Caterham is faster round Oulton Park than a Ferrari 458 :D).

Having a wheel makes SUCH a difference, especially if it has force feedback - Mudrunner is also pretty cool and, sadly, so is European Truck Simulator :roll:

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:55 am

Hmmm might have to have a look at this, what sort of money are we taking about?
I have an old MS force feedback wheel and pedals but I imagine the controls have moved on a lot, also have a glass desk so may have to reenforce it! also been playing with a Oculus Go which is very immersive, surprisingly so
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:20 pm

I bought this wheel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T150-Force-Feedback-Wheel/dp/B015CNQVZ2

...although it was only £130 when I got it 6 months ago.

It's not the best because it doesn't have a clutch pedal and separate gearstick (paddles for gear changes) but I didn't want to pay £200 for a wheel that did have that.

And yeah, you don't want to use it on a glass top :D

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:32 pm

What hardware did you purchase Lee?
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

leegav

Postby leegav » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:07 am

Currently in PS4, logitec G923 wheel and peddles, and PS4 virtual reality headset. Project 2 isn't PS4 be compatible so kind of wasted my money with project 2 but if you play with headset on its like been sat in a cinema ... and there's loads more racing games available that are compatible. I wanted p2 to link up with guys from some other car clubs I'm part of.

Realise now it's not the best set up... and if I want VR project 2 online racing i need a pc.

Had my first race tonight with guys in America, France and UK guys from the BEC owners club. Had a really good time, you can chat with you mates as your racing.

Ps4 150 quid
Project cars 10 quid
VR headset 200 quid
Logitec set up 330 quid

Add another few hundred for a stable seat and a decent TV if you don't get on with VR headset ...

P2 cars racing is really hard to get right... it's not like an old arcade game were you bump off the walls..cars have to be set right, as does race etiquette and pit strategies.. I can see why kids are in to this. The adjustments to your cars are endless. . We did Silverstone tonight in a ginetta gt5 and it's really accurate...let off the throttle in the wrong place and youl spin just as you would on track... lap times are close to real cars too. The guys sent me a car set up which has taken them 6 months to tune right.. so that gives you an example of what detail this goes into.

See how I get on next few months. Promised I'm only race an hour on Friday night and Sunday night.. if im still a fan in a few months I may upgrade to a PC fora more full immersive VR SIM racing ...

Gotta fit out the loft first as a sim cave lol...

Sounds odd I know... But it's bloody brilliant fun...must admit though, the VR racing I have done with gran tourismo made me feel sick and has taken some time to get used to...
Last edited by leegav on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

leegav

Postby leegav » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:15 am

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Cheers mate, I think I might get in to that, you might have some competition on your hands :D

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:07 pm

I used to play iRacing on the PC which was a pretty realistic racing sim at the time - this was around 8 years ago. Had a Logitech G27 wheel/pedals setup and even build myself a wooden 'cockpit' with a bucket seat bolted in to get the authentic feel. :lol: :lol: :geek:

Recon I could get into PS4 (5!) sim racing, but then again, it could be one of those things that is fun for a few weeks and then you just lose interest. Would like a go on a VR setup though - never tried that!
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Well Lee you've started something here. My setup arrives tomorrow. I've had a try on the xbox with the hand controller but it's really a non starter. Getting very excited at the prospect of using the driving controls. Lee are you aware of the yaw vr chair, that looks like it takes things to a whole new level 8-)

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”