Race of Remembrance

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Race of Remembrance

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:02 am

The planning for the race started a few months ago. We have looked at tyres, pit to car radio, live streaming, brakes, fuel, seating, lights, mirrors and getting quicker in the car.

To aid in the later Ian Payne and I, will will share the Morgan club sport for the 12 hours.

To address the last we booked to a track day at Anglesey Saturday 2 November and what a day we had; great fun.

Crunchie Gears

Re: Race of Remembrance

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm

We set off on Friday early so we could call in at the Motorsport expo at Silverstone. Ian had a stall there and he needed to show his face. I spent the time pulling people in to his stall! It was a good expo as there were a number of serious motorsport companies, many of which were taking passenger rides round the GP circuit. It seemed more assessable than Autosport.

We left at about 1.00pm and drove into serious traffic everywhere. We got to the B&B at 7.15 and found the Morgan had only made it to Banbury.

Ian and I went out for a pint and something to eat and Martin and the car got to the rooms at 2.00am.

We got up for breakfast at 7 and then tried to turn the trailer round in the very tight farm yard. We had to get cars moved and a number of attempts did the trick. Needless to say the rain was chucking it down. I dried my hair as I dashed to the circuit. We made the briefing and Martin had delivered the car to the pit garage.

The track-day was not over booked, OK not surprising. We meet a number of the participant walking back to the garage including a couple of Belgian guys in a BMW M3. They had come over to do a few track days and the Evo Triangle. We also invited a couple of the Caterham guys without garages to share ours as it was very wet.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Ian went out first to set a lap on our wet tyres (Avon CR28). There was a lot of standing water but the rain had slowed to a mist. He posted 1.31 and I went out for the first attempt and got 1.36; quite a big gap. It always takes me a while.

Had a look at the VBox footage could see there were issues at 3 corners, unfortunately they are the most important.

It is not fair to look at the times as the rain reduced and the cars cleared some of the water. There where a few red flags as people we’re coming off left right and centre. But the big stoppage was when a Clio dumped its engine and all fluids onto the track on the fastest bend. They rescheduled Lunch and took it early as they cleaned the track up.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Over the Lunch/ cleanup break the sun came out and with the help of 10m/S winds the track was drying out. Out come the Avon ZZRs :D

Track opened about 12.30 and we left the first cars out to clear the track. With a dry line clear Ian set a 1.205 and I went out 1.26. Got in talked through the lap and I went out again 1.22.

It takes me time to ruminate were I am going wrong. On the way home Ian and I were talking it though and I realised that all three corners I have a problem on I am turning in a little early. It meant I was off line up the hill and so was still turning so had to come off the throttle early and brake less. Same on the fast bend onto the straight. Turning in too early means I was running out of road on the exit so could not get on the throttle as quickly and so carried the deficiency all the way down the straight.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 pm

A few people asked for passenger laps and enjoyed the open air and rush of air without even an aero screen.

At the end of the day, stopped due to light, we had some surprises. :o

As I came in on the last lap a few of the participants gave the car applause as I think it surprise them that it was quicker than they thought.

A few of the marshals came into the garage and said we made their day watching the Morgan driven so we’ll all day was brilliant. It is funny as I am not sure it would happen if it was not a Morgan.

We were the last packed up. Ian and I escaped in the c63 and Martin in the truck. I got home at 11pm knackered but having enjoyed the day. Particularly as I have worked out what the gap is between Ian and I.

Now for the pics

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:25 pm

A3AFB28A-6047-4B5A-A715-0F64232D08EA.jpeg

9B9F3E49-96AF-4214-B9E9-B68305D7D57D.jpeg

2E1C6ABD-B0A9-4D66-88F8-985C918C382D.jpeg
9539B9A0-3BC1-4872-A7BE-734C4C8D9431.jpeg
863C4350-F6EC-450B-9DCC-D79C6307B154.jpeg
05AB2DB7-ACDD-45B0-B1F0-452E72F4A69F.jpeg
05AB2DB7-ACDD-45B0-B1F0-452E72F4A69F.jpeg

F34E863A-0068-4962-B238-A7623FB553E2.jpeg
Attachments
DF195342-285F-4D5B-B187-B2792EE2388A.jpeg

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:39 pm

I will update the thread as we go into next weekend. :D

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:00 pm

It is a great looking car :)

Nice write up, it must be interesting figuring out where the time difference comes from. Years ago I read a book about driving by Paul Frere, and he was basically saying that the way to a quick time was to exit corners as fast as possible as even a couple of mph is then carried all the way along the next straight, just as you said :)

I can't imagine many drivers get applause at the end of the day!

leegav

Postby leegav » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Great write up paul... Good luck next weekend mate...and send my regards to ian.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:04 pm

DJ. wrote:It is a great looking car :)

Nice write up, it must be interesting figuring out where the time difference comes from. Years ago I read a book about driving by Paul Frere, and he was basically saying that the way to a quick time was to exit corners as fast as possible as even a couple of mph is then carried all the way along the next straight, just as you said :)

I can't imagine many drivers get applause at the end of the day!

Paul is right the issue with your and my car is that to do that you have to carry speed into and round the bend. I am at the point where I know what to do to be quick but then there is a very basic problem. When you come into a very quick, big commitment bend how do you stop yourself turning in to early (old git with bad muscle memory)? It is tough to make the right choice! Work in progress :D :D

As for the applause, Duncan it was more about the car! :D That said, I think Ian and I were the quickest in the wet. Even in the dry some of the fast cars, BMW m2/3/4, Alphas, Caterhams and others let us past. We could not match them for speed down the straight but on the limit through the bends. :D :D

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”