E381B141-DF4A-4D53-B5AD-1559ECF659C9.jpeg
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

leegav

Re: The Birkett Relay

Postby leegav » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:43 pm

I didn’t do the last 30 mins as the red flag was put out and race finished.

leegav

Postby leegav » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 pm

If anyone wants to see how bad the vision was check out the videos on YouTube from 2019 Burkett relay

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:27 am

My race was just about instant free.

In my first stint I made up about six places which was good. I could not tell you which teams all I am sure about it was not one of the Radical teams. :lol: :lol: They were flying! When they did come off they went a long way.

There were a lot of faster cars than ours and so cars were coming past us regularly so I found it useful to point which side I wanted them to overtake and so insure I kept the Morgan on the dry line as much as possible. More than once the out braked themselves in the standing water.

When waiting for my second and last stint Tom suddenly drove past the pit garage. Tom did not have a radio so could not tell us he had a problem. I was not ready and so hurriedly jumped in the car got my gear on and was off. About a lap in I realised, mostly because I felt cold, that I had not tightened my seat belt. So driving down the hanger straight, accelerating to 115 mph in the heavy rain steering with a knee and both hands trying to sort my belts was interesting. :?

The safety car came out 2 cars overtook me under the safety car; twats!! I do not think they had seen the all circuit yellows. I now do not stay directly behind the car in front as if they brake hard you have nowhere to go and the spray and the size of the saloon cars means you cannot see past the car in front. During the safety car the rain got harder and the drier line was no more the track was just standing water. It amused me that the car behind was weaving to warm their tyres; really in half an inch of water :lol: :lol: He must have had some very special wets on! When the safety car went in the track was so wet it was more predictable as there was no grip anywhere :D :D It was when I did my fastest lap of the race at 3.06

Having fuelled the car for an hour and 15 and guessing there would be a safety car or two. Problem was I was running out of fuel with about 20 minutes left. Radioed in and asked Martin to get Lee ready to take over as I was looking forward to having a piss (I did not have one before I jumped in the car :shock: :shock:) and needed some fuel.

Fortunately, on my last lap I saw a Mini on the top of a Caterham and the Race was called off. Fair play to Lee as he did get ready to go out even though he did not fancy it.

I had no big dramas other than my new race suit!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 am

I had a great time despite the weather. Good company. Good result. Good banter.

I will see if I can find a small clip to upload :D :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:04 am

oh for a tintop :lol:

sounds like biblical conditions, clearly the organizers hadn't sacrificied a virgin or two for the weather Gods.
Fair play to Lee, tricky enough driving anyone elses cars, let alone in a race with those kind of conditions!
will wander over to utube and see what i can find.....

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:47 pm

This was my last session and were I did my fastest lap :lol: :lol: :?
0926EC90-F25A-4D20-BEDB-E2208CF481D9.jpeg

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Sounds like you had a good time despite the conditions, Well done. Have you got any more races left this year?

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:33 pm

Matth93 wrote:Sounds like you had a good time despite the conditions, Well done. Have you got any more races left this year?

Thanks Matt.

Yes I am off to Anglesey for a track day in preparation for the Race of Remebrance a 12 hour race over the following weekend. Ian payne and I are driving the Morgan. There is a Morgan relay team with 4 cars which we have to beat as they are the factory team 8-) :lol: :lol:

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Wow, it was stressing me out just reading it. Adrenaline must have been flowing the whole time for you guys.
Anything after that should be a relative walk in the park then :D

Thanks for such a thorough write up Paul and Lee.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”