1st Morgan Challenge - Silverstone

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

1st Morgan Challenge - Silverstone

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Next race and it went OK!

I did not do any practice and have not got to grips with the car yet so was very pleased I split the factory drivers in qualifying. I qualified in a contested part of the grid in p16 and second in class. Unfortunately, one of the works drivers was three cars higher and I had 3 V8 cars in front of me and the other works driver alongside.

The races were 2 x 20 minute races run by the Bentley Owners Club.

So the first race was my second static start and OMG it was manic. I had a 4.8 Ltr Aero 8 behind me along with 3.7 V6s and V8s. They started very quickly :shock: I lost a number of places but what it did was just bunch the pack up. Very tight round the first bend. I now understand why they have to gentleman’s agreement on the rules of racing in the Challenge.

Crunchie Gears

Re: 1st Morgan Challenge - Silverstone

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:12 pm

The dash up to Maggots was difficult too but I stayed in front of the second works driver. I scramble through the inside of Maggots and got a good drive onto the Wellington Straight and held my place up to Brooklands.

I have been working on my trail braking and so took a straight route to the corner and let the braking as late as I dare. Feathering off the brakes when you think you think you are going to fast is still alien and then turning in and getting the rotation done is tough but very effective. I got passed a number of cars and ran up against the 3 +8s.

I found the remainder of the race an education. I was a lot quicker into the bends but a good deal slower down the straight. I could get past one of the two immediately in front and make it stick but would get held up by the second and and the first would catchup and get me down the straight. I need to get better at getting past the first and then deal with the next.

I had really bad vibration from the brakes too. I mean really bad. They were also pull to the left.

Anyway that was the the rest of the race. Class P1 got away and I battled to get away from the V8s but did not have the skill.

P2 in class was not too bad for a scratch race with no practice and with a few issues with the car; some self inflicted, for example missed Gears and out braking myself particularly into Brooklands.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:12 pm

The dash up to Maggots was difficult too but I stayed in front of the second works driver. I scramble through the inside of Maggots and got a good drive onto the Wellington Straight and held my place up to Brooklands.

I have been working on my trail braking and so took a straight route to the corner and let the braking as late as I dare. Feathering off the brakes when you think you think you are going to fast is still alien and then turning in and getting the rotation done is tough but very effective. I got passed a number of cars and ran up against the 3 +8s.

I found the remainder of the race an education. I was a lot quicker into the bends but a good deal slower down the straight. I could get past one of the two immediately in front and make it stick but would get held up by the second and and the first would catchup and get me down the straight. I need to get better at getting past the first and then deal with the next.

I had really bad vibration from the brakes too. I mean really bad. They were also pull to the left.

Anyway that was the the rest of the race. Class P1 got away and I battled to get away from the V8s but did not have the skill.

P2 in class was not too bad for a scratch race with no practice and with a few issues with the car; some self inflicted, for example missed Gears and out braking myself particularly into Brooklands.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:27 pm

The second race I was on the grid behind the V8s.

Same start but managed to cope better a few laps in and one car had a big accident and the safety car came out. The driving behind the safety car was frenetic. Clearly it does not happen often. The safety car then stopped on the Wellington straight and the cars did not stop which resulted in a crazy pile up. Shoot it was manic.

I came through the pack and clipped a car on the way through. I ended up in a completely different place than I started. I was in P1 in class with the real leader behind me. I signaled him through.

After the safety car went in P1 in class got past a V8 and made it stick and I got past a lap later and then spent the rest of the race chasing him down but not catching him. Fair play!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:29 pm

So 2 second places and 2 trophies!

E82456E4-7488-4C78-B90B-11074266CF33.jpeg

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:38 am

Well done Paul, excellent write up.

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 am

Well played Paul, good to be competitive. Mind you, you probably have more race miles under your belt then some of the works drivers! :D

Well played
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 am

nice one Paul.....now where's the video :D

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks guys.

I am picking up the SD card later today so hope to get the videos up tonight :D

Thanks again Paul

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for posting up Paul. Sounds like a great weekend racing!

Were the brakes still vibrating badly in the second race or did the crew sort that after Race 1?
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”