What is your favourity corner?

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

What is your favourity corner?

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm

I thought it would be interesting if we all posted a write up of our favourite corner and to start it off:

Goodwood _ Madgwick

What a Great Corner
Madgwick is one of a number of super-fast bends at Goodwood and even looks like it maybe the safest corner on the circuit.

On a track day at Goodwood the idiot’s guide signing, the braking point, turn in, apex and exit, are some of the easiest to see on any circuit I have been to. So much better than the cones which disappear after the first lap of the over enthusiastic Evo driver. The braking boards maybe 150 yards to early but at least you can see them and make your way round the circuit even if you have not been there before.

Exiting from the pits you can accelerate hard to the first bend, Madgwick. It is a double apex right hander and the first time round you brake at the braking board just to realise how conservative it is. Turning in on the board is done without being able to see the apex some distance round the bend. The second apex remains blind for some distance. When it appears, the exit becomes clear too and you realise that you can take a good deal more speed through the bend next time round.

Second lap the run to Madgwick starts at the tight chicane for the dash down the start finish straight you are approaching much quicker. Ignore the brake board touch brakes and then support the rear with a tiny bit of throttle. Take up the suspension roll and turn in. It goes like a dream hit the first apex and the second and off down the straight.

As the day goes on the speed through the bend grows and then the true nature of the curve and the challenge becomes clear. The turn in and now sprint to the first apex is all going well. But carrying more speed into the next part of the bend it become clear that the second apex is blind due to a crest at mid corner. The reason is that as you go over the crest the car goes light starts to run wide and your previous imperious curve encompassing both apexes has degenerated into very uncomfortable place.

Do I back off the throttle to give the front some grip while expecting the back end to let go and bank on my talent to deal with the issue? Fortunately the road turns back uphill as I miss the apex and, in not so imperious a state, keep it on the track. (There is nothing like the adrenaline on your stomach.) Now I know why they have the kitty litter there! You still a make 125 + down the top straight feeling more like a sinner than a driving God; but next lap I will get it right …..

b33fy

Re: What is your favourity corner?

Postby b33fy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Quite a few favourites.. B2079 from the Stilebridge to Marden has a few challenges and bum twitching bends.. Up the hill from the stilebridge a hard pull in forth and an opportunity to get past a couple of the blue rinse brigade.

Settle the car for a sweeping right handed, aiming for approximately 80 parsecs apex speed.. short straight up to around 90 parsecs then a really challenging left hander with a t junction on the apex and llama farm on the left. Causes a few spincter moments with lorry’s pulling out and using all of the road, plus the diesel spillage.. dab on the brakes 70 parsecs in the dry if you have big kahoons. In the wet You’d just die..

Longish straight but no time for relaxation with the undilating road trying to throw you in a ditch.. 90-100 parsecs if you’re not twitchy.

Hard on the brakes for a 90 left at the old pub, 40-50 parsecs with some tyre squeal to keep the occupants on their toes.

Keep your foot in for the next sweeping right, 70 parsecs if you're flat.. I got small nuts and no bottle.. lift every time..

Past the cemetery, easy right then another 90 left with great camber at Marden turf, then the finish line at the Unicorn, Proper job.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Oh this is tricky. So many choices and all different!

I'd have to go for

Silverstone - Esses. Maggots, beckets, chapel.

Coming out of Copse as hot as you can/dare with the car hard over the rumble strips on the left coax the car over to the right to get a wide sweeping entry as you turn left into Maggots, then swiftly right then a dab on the brakes to balance the car as you grab 4th gear, down from 5th or 6th before ginking left and hard on the brakes keeping left to get a slingshot through the tighter than it looks at beckets before straightening the left of chapel and accelerating as hard as you can onto the Hanger straight. Get it right and it flows like a fine wine. Get it wrong and you learn a new skill re-fibreglassing your newly straightened chassis. Ask David T

Got goosebumps thinking about driving it. Fantastic.

Good post Paul
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 pm

I only really know one circuit well, Goodwood. You are right, Madgwick really is the stand out corner as the turn in speed is so high, and the hidden double apex makes it an act of faith. I tend to deliberately go a little wide of the first apex and then cut tighter to the second.

Initially (a long time ago in my Lotus), I used to change down to 3rd before entering Madgwick. After plenty of attempts, I tend to now just dab the brakes at the end of the straight and turn in in fourth. A couple of years ago, I slightly overcooked the entry speed and was treated to a wiggle from the back end, not good when the wife is on board!

On this years track day, there was a cross wind all day that hit just as I entered the corner each time. Even entering at least 10mph slower, it was hard to get near the first apex..........horrible.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:33 pm

b33fy wrote:Quite a few favourites.. B2079 from the Stilebridge to Marden has a few challenges and bum twitching bends.. Up the hill from the stilebridge a hard pull in forth and an opportunity to get past a couple of the blue rinse brigade.

Settle the car for a sweeping right handed, aiming for approximately 80 parsecs apex speed.. short straight up to around 90 parsecs then a really challenging left hander with a t junction on the apex and llama farm on the left. Causes a few spincter moments with lorry’s pulling out and using all of the road, plus the diesel spillage.. dab on the brakes 70 parsecs in the dry if you have big kahoons. In the wet You’d just die..

Longish straight but no time for relaxation with the undilating road trying to throw you in a ditch.. 90-100 parsecs if you’re not twitchy.

Hard on the brakes for a 90 left at the old pub, 40-50 parsecs with some tyre squeal to keep the occupants on their toes.

Keep your foot in for the next sweeping right, 70 parsecs if you're flat.. I got small nuts and no bottle.. lift every time..

Past the cemetery, easy right then another 90 left with great camber at Marden turf, then the finish line at the Unicorn, Proper job.

Nice one Mike I was leaning in on the sofa. To finish on the Unicorn was magic (apologies in advance for that one :lol:)

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Nash wrote:Oh this is tricky. So many choices and all different!

I'd have to go for

Coming out of Copse as hot as you can/dare with the car hard over the rumble strips on the left coax the car over to the right to get a wide sweeping entry as you turn left into Maggots, then swiftly right then a dab on the brakes to balance the car as you grab 4th gear, down from 5th or 6th before ginking left and hard on the brakes keeping left to get a slingshot through the tighter than it looks at beckets before straightening the left of chapel and accelerating as hard as you can onto the Hanger straight. Get it right and it flows like a fine wine. Get it wrong and you learn a new skill re-fibreglassing your newly straightened chassis. Ask David T

Good post Paul

Good choice Neil :D I thought you would go for Raidillon!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:38 pm

Sorry to have knocked your corner Duncan :D it is a cracker!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Woodcote at Goodwood, not Madgwick. Coming down the Lavant straight at 160 + and trying to pick a braking point, tip it in looking for the 2nd apex and 4wd drift it to the rumble strip

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

jeffw wrote:Woodcote at Goodwood, not Madgwick. Coming down the Lavant straight at 160 + and trying to pick a braking point, tip it in looking for the 2nd apex and 4wd drift it to the rumble strip

Woodcote is very good even though I did not have 160 on the approach. :D

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Crunchie Gears wrote:
Nash wrote:Oh this is tricky. So many choices and all different!

I'd have to go for

Good post Paul

Good choice Neil :D I thought you would go for Raidillon!

Thought about it Paul and also the corkscrew at Bilsterberg but the sence of achievement getting the esses right at speed is visceral.

Opentrack, November Bilterberg £299 just sayin
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”