Fun Cup Brands Hatch last Saturday

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Fun Cup Brands Hatch last Saturday

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm

The time has whizzed by and the first race is over :D

There have been a few changes this year. First we have a new team mate, driver Tim Abbott who has been racing for about 10 years in Caterhams, historics and trackdays in his Mono. Second we found the chassis was bent when we bought the car and we ran all season with a crab and with filler in the space frame :? . So we had it on the jig and replaced the main chassis tubes. That led to a problem in that the car has more caster than before and so is a good deal heavier to drive. We ran it out at Silverstone and with it loaded up in a bend I could not steer and change gear (the gear change is much stiffer when in mid corner). So the the third major change, we fitted paower steering 8-) (for the weakling in the team).

So on Friday we ran the car for the first time with the power steering and had it set on 3. It was super sensitive and I turned it down to 2 (there is a switch on the dashboard). Even then it was a bit light. We settled for 1, although I noticed the pit crew turn it up for manuvering round the pits :lol:

Crunchie Gears

Re: Fun Cup Brands Hatch last Saturday

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:11 pm

Tim went out first as he had not driven the car and did some familiarisation and started improving the lap time quite well. He manage consistant 59 second laps once he got the car.

My turn and I was disappointed I managed 57.7 second, which is slower than last year. Then Ian pointed out we are on tyres that have done one race, 2 trackdays and were a little tyred (sorry about that). He then went out and posted a 57.5 about a dozen times. :) :oops:

Ian and I kept the pace about the same dispite my efforts to get closer. Tim drop his time to similar to mine.

The take way from me is I am closer to Ian and Tim is on the pace. :D :D Happy days.

We looked at the V-Box footage and telemetry and I was quicker than Ian for much of the circuit :D :o granted it was on the straights HeHe my 20 Kgs skill advantage was working :roll: :lol: :lol:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Filler in the chassis is scarey, the person who did that should be shot!

Good write up, I'm keen to hear about the race :)

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Nice one Paul, so a new season has started and a new member in the team, what happened to the other driver ? You will get there Paul, it all takes time.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

leegav

Postby leegav » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Great write up paul. Was wondering when your season started.. Il keep myneye on the schedule and let you know when me and buddy can attend :D
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:07 pm

leegav wrote:Great write up paul. Was wondering when your season started.. Il keep myneye on the schedule and let you know when me and buddy can attend :D

Looking forward to meeting Buddy. It may be on a hill :D :D

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:15 pm

This season we have 3 drivers for most races.

Ian Payne is in for all the races. I am in for all but the 8 hour race at Anglesey (my son is getting married). Ian and I raced all the races last year. We have Tim Abbott in for this round at Brands and the races at Silverstone and the 2 at Zandvoort. We have another driver for the 2 Oulton Park races. The 5 hours at Croft is Ian and I.

I will be doing some Morgan Racing this year and the Race of Remembrance.

So back to the race.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Ian Payne was due to start and finish the race. The middle 4 session would me shared between Tim and I with me first.

After the driver’s briefing we got drawn P7 on the grid. Qualifying went well with no problems.

Mark, Neil, David T, kitkat and liona all arrived for the race so we had some support. Not only that but we got the pit lane girls to do a photo opp which Neil captured :D :D

We normally, OK, Ian normally does really well at the start so we were all really buoyant :roll: high before the fall this time. The race started and Ian got squished a bit in the first corner and then it got very physical in Druids. Ian had dropped to P14. Worse he was behind the quick and very aggressive former Honeywell team. They are holding him up but are cutting him off at any attempt to get past.

It took Ian a number of laps to get past and then catch-up to the next place. He worked at the chase and was lapping up with the best. He came in for the pit stop in 9th, good work. :D

I get in the car next and go out in 14th and then lose another place. I have more speed than the car in front but cannot get past. The change from last year is that I am more confident to change my lines to try to find better speed down the straight to get an overtake done without making a lunge down the inside at a corner.

I manage to take the car in front by getting along side down the straight and making the overtake on Paddock. :D :D it is really brilliant fun even if a bit scary 8-) :lol: Better still I pull away. The Safety Car came out for about 10 laps and I am at the back of the line which means I have all the people in front of me bunched up. No excuses and I make it up to P10 for my pit stop.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:55 am

Paul I didn’t realise you’d started the season otherwise I’d have joined the gang at Brands. Just up the road from me. Annoyed I missed it.

Glad to hear the report thus far. Can’t see past you getting to P10 though.....

What happened next?

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Tim then took his turn and as he got to the end of the pit lane the car was wondering and got worse as he drove on. He did his whole session feeling very uncomfortable with the car. He soldier on and handed back to me. I sat in the car as they checked the suspension and did a nut check as they could not see anything. I went out about 5 laps down. :(

I managed about 30 laps and then on the exit to Graham Hill bend I, as normal, but this time the rear suspension let go. I radioed in that I was coming in. They played with the rear and straightened it out by sight. I went out but did a very scary slow lap and back in. Into the garage this time for more intense work. Went out again a long way back second lap out the same thing. Into the pits changed over to Tim. This time they found the stripped bolt which kept letting go.

Tim and then Ian did some OK times but the geometry was not perfect and by this time we were a long way back. We made up a few places. It was all about lap times as we were 5 laps down on P21. We finished P22.

We will use new high tensile bolts on the suspension from here on. :D

Looking forward to Oulton Park Island in a couple of weeks. I have been practicing on the PS4 and think I should be able to stay close to Ian’s time round there :twisted:

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”