CKC Track Day @ Llandow circuit Sat 18May

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Re: CKC Track Day @ Llandow circuit Sat 18May

Postby jeffw » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 am

It also maybe the Fuel Pressure Regulator has gone bad. People seem to fit variable FPRs off ebay etc which are not the most reliable thing, if you have one of those get a fixed FPR at 3 or 3.5 Bar and a lot of your issues will disappear.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and the regulator is the one that came with the engine when bought 'new' (crated from Ford but built 2004) two years ago.

The LP filter is glass so I can see into it and it looks clean and clear.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon May 20, 2019 2:04 pm

out of interest you mentioned that it was better but not perfect after the recovery had tinkered....
so what was the symptoms after that? ie/ misfiring at speed, at tickover, at tickover after it had started to play up etc?

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 pm

When I first had the problem, it misfired slightly and then escalated to no power, engine stuttering quite violently, almost stalling. It felt like the entire engine was switching off, rather than just a single cylinder.

After tinkering, he seemed to have stopped the really violent bit so on hard or sudden acceleration, it would misfire more gently. At tickover or gentle acceleration, all seemed fine. Having said that, once on the long journey home, the violent 'misfire' occurred once, shortly after a big pothole shook the chassis.

I'm starting to lean towards a dodgy electrical connection to coil or injectors which gives the occasional misfire and then, after a more physical jolt, fails completely until another jolt gets the connection back...?

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon May 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Might be worth checking your earthing straps/connections.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am

After tinkering, he seemed to have stopped the really violent bit so on hard or sudden acceleration, it would misfire more gently. At tickover or gentle acceleration, all seemed fine. Having said that, once on the long journey home, the violent 'misfire' occurred once, shortly after a big pothole shook the chassis.

I'm starting to lean towards a dodgy electrical connection to coil or injectors which gives the occasional misfire

Reading that i'm not sure whether what he did improved things or whether it just gave the appearance that the symptoms were lessened. Because if it was running badly when he attended, and it was stationary then the 'bump'/jolt part wouldn't be relevant would it?
Unless it's perhaps the little plug that goes to the coil...i've had those fail, where the weight of the cable has pulled one of the connector pins slightly out of contact. If i recall, wobbling that plug in my case showed that to be the issue....
But i'm not sure from memory that this would have impacted at gentle vs harder acceleration....

That part about hard vs softer acceleration would still sound like something fuel related, but to a degree , that depends what he did roadside to rule that out ( ie/ whether he just tinkered on tickover or revved it).

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 pm

He tinkered, then I drove on for a mile or 2 with him following me and stopped when it was clear the problem wasn't gone. I never got the more violent episode while doing this but it did happen once on the way home.

However, you're spot on about the plug - because he kept swapping the coil pack in and out, he was pulling that plug in and out and one time, the engine wouldn't start at all. He took the tape off the plug and one of the pins had come out. We wondered if that was the problem all along but we got the pin plugged back in again and the misfire was still there. HOWEVER, maybe that plug is dodgy, which is why I do plan to re-wire it (it's a special plug I have to order).

And that cable just went straight into the coil pack, no bracing of any sort. It's cable-tied to a nearby pipe now but stable door/horse gone scenario...

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”