Curborough Sprint Records

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Curborough Sprint Records

Postby jeffw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:26 am

Interesting analysis of the records for each class on the three typically used courses at Curborough across all events.

https://www.curborough.co.uk/curborough ... 5hZpNRF1Jg

Crunchie Gears

Re: Curborough Sprint Records

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 am

Interesting Jeff.

I wonder why, with Global warming May of the records are from 10 years or more ago?

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 am

Possible the aging of the tarmac or the age of the competitors.

Sprinting (and hillclimbing) suffers from having all the regulations that the MSA/MUK can think of i.e. ROPS compliance/certification (including FIA Harness bar testing in my case), Vehicle Passports and so on. The upshot of all of this is if you are not already doing it the cost of entry is very high, dressing like a F1 driver to drive your MX-5 or Hot Hatch round a circuit/airfield on your own is pretty off putting and if you don't have the young blood entering then you have an aging sport. I would estimate that the average age of the competitors at most sprint meetings is late 40s/early 50s.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 am

Interesting. You are probably right. Racing is not entirely like that as there are quite a few young people and young women competing. The interest is still there but what autonomous cars will do to Racing I am not sure.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 am

Autonomous & racing....yawn. Formula Whine is bad enough but to actually take the human out of the car means it is a competition between software coders which is not longer motorsport.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 am

I think we are on the slop already. F1 is loosing support as the technology means the cars find it hard to work near other cars and most overtakes happen in the pits. I only watch BTCC, sometimes F3, sports-car Racing and races like Le Mans series or Bathurst.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am

F1 has never been very good racing really (not since wings in 68) and at least most of them finish on the same lap, remember when Mansell in the Williams lapped everyone except his team mate ?

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”