Nurburgring

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

nelmo

Nurburgring

Postby nelmo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Out of interest, has anyone done the Nurburgring in their kit? What sort of lap times were you getting? Or what lap time do you reckon a bog standard Zetec kit would do?

Just been watching that old Top Gear episode where they tried to break 10 minutes in a Transit van - would a kit do that? The only YouTube vids are of 620R Caterhams - wondered what a basic Zero would do...

Phil N

Re: Nurburgring

Postby Phil N » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Problem I see there is how the hell do you learn to drive the ring? I think the bragging rights of saying I’ve done it would be the only appeal to me but unfortunately not enough to make me risk it as it BLOODY expensive if you have an off.
9 is more than a number

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Yep agree, far too long a circuit to really go for it!

Anyway, I did it in my old GBS when it had a zetec fitted and that included the dozen or so corners where I shite myself and slowed right down, it also included a bit of traffic!

In my opinion I would never go anywhere near the circuit again, if you get it wrong it could cost you your house!!! ( I’m sure Paul will be along in a minute to explain)

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Learning it is easy - almost every computer racing game I've ever played has the Ring on it and they are damn accurate these days. I was watching an interview with a new F1 driver who was talking about practicing the next race on his Playstation :D

Found some videos of lightly tuned MX5s doing 9min 10sec laps but then also some bloke in his Zero (LHD and looked basic) only doing a 10 min lap - i think that would be me :oops:

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:56 pm

nelmo wrote:Learning it is easy

Go do it then :lol: :lol: :lol:
9 is more than a number

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Phil N wrote:
nelmo wrote:Learning it is easy

Go do it then :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s what I was thinking, ok the PlayStation will give you a feel of what it’s about but the real thing is very different - I’m not sure the PS will teach you the circuit :lol:

It’s an amazing place, and the roads around that area are worth the drive out there alone even if you don’t even drive the ring !

scotty

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 am

most do learn the lay out by xbox ir ps now.(as do most tt riders these days is been said to take 5 years off the learning experience for them) at least knowing which way the corners go would help.me and a few mates have a date set for 2020 to go(50th birthday thing) so i may have to go against all my principles and buy a game machine rather than sitting in mates sheds..
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:00 am

Doing the Ring on a Xbox/PS4/PC may give you the impression you know the circuit but it will lull you into a false sense of security.

I've done around 80 laps of the Ring and I remember where the track goes but I don't 'know' it. My fastest BTG was 8min 10sec in a Zetec engined Phoenix (pre-supercharged) running around 210BHP.

The problem these days is the following...

The Ring on Tourist Days is considered to be a one way public toll road under German law and you are required to have a minimum 3rd party insurance cover. Most, if not all, UK insures explicitly do not cover the Ring so you are driving on a public road without insurance.

If you have an off or cause someone else to have an off they will come after you. You will pay for all the armco you damage (or cause to have damaged), the clean-up, the stoppage on the circuit, the damage to your car and to anything else that was damaged plus any third-party injuries. But you are not insured....

Let's assume you crack the sump of the kit on a kerb and drop oil round the next two or three corners before it seizes and spits you off into the armco. Along comes four Bikers who all total their new Ducati Panigales and one loses a leg (and he is an elite sportsman who can't work anymore), then a new McLaren spins on your oil and takes out more Armco....and so on.

You are liable for all of the damage, clean-up, air ambulance, repairs/replacements and the cost of ruining the elite sportsman's career. Extreme example but dropping oil in the Ring or crashing is likely to cost you minimum in the £000s and the upper limit could cost you everything you own.

By all means go, rent a car from the companies who rent cars for the ring (Several £000 excess) and book a ride in the Ring Taxi but don't take your car out without appreciating the risks to you and your wallet. It is an amazing place but it can and will bite, especially first timers.

There are Trackdays where you are not liable for third party damage but would still have to pay for armco, cleanup, recovery, closure etc so that might be an option if you want to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2uM31ZqR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqRA34ITi_U

Spa is closer, doesn't charge you to clean-up and is pretty thrilling to drive.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 am

RSR Nurburg are a well known renter of Ring cars, this is their document on insurance/crashing on the Ring.

https://www.rsrnurburg.com/files/crash_overview.pdf

https://www.rsrnurburg.com/
https://www.rent4ring.de/en/rentals-for ... leife.html

steve m

Postby steve m » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 am

Great reply from Jeff, and has detailed pretty well everything about the circuit to ensure
I NEVER attempt it!

However, I would like to go round in a taxi, preferably with Sabine driving :)

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”