Nurburgring

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Nurburgring

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:41 am

i've never done the Ring and never will do for the reasons cited above......but having been there to watch the GT24hrs and as part of a couple of road trips the irony is that the roads in that Eifel region are stellar anyway.....apart from not being able to floor the loud pedal to the max on those roads they are plenty entertaining.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Agree completely. Great restaurants, great accommodation and great roads. You can certainly have an experience by getting a ride in the Ring Taxi & hanging out in the car park for a day. Lots of people will take people out for Pax laps if you ask (be careful who you ask !)

If you are going to take your car round try and pick a weekday tourist session (not an evening) or try and do early morning or late afternoon evening on the full day sessions. It isn't open every day as it is mostly used for Manufactures car testing, you'll see lots of interesting stuff driving around and there are some great spots to spectate (Bruchen and Adeneaur village are the main ones).

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:51 pm

I use the PS4 to practice, for coaching and to learn new circuits. I have tried the Ring a few times and have not made a lap without coming off frequently in the same place :o

I will not do the Ring as the risks are higher than the reward. :?

There are also places to go that are very very interesting like Spa, Portamao or my favourite the Bilserberg Ring https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvdg93WTCG8

Bilsterberg. Is a real challenge as virtually all the corners are blind and some big commitment bends. The video flattens it out but there are two 1 in 4 hills (one down in a hairpin and one up).

I will be on the PS4 in a while but will be trying to get faster round Oulton Park. :D :D

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Crunchie Gears wrote:I use the PS4 to practice, for coaching and to learn new circuits.

Paul, Which game(s) are you using on the PS4? I take it you have a proper seat, wheel and pedal setup?

How close to reality do the tracks map?

Ta!

Mike

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Mike I use Project Cars as it has most of the UK circuits. I also use Assetto Corsa as it has Zandvoort and Fun Cup raved there last year.

Project Cars I use a Ginetta as it has about the same performance as the Fun Cup and has good handling. You can get the car rotated and get on the power early. It is a very good simulation. I was using a Formula Renault but you cannot trail brake which is important as it is a different driving technique than I need. The tracks are very good and have the side roads, signs and kerbs in the right place. It does not let you ride the kerbs as much as one can in the fun cup but it really helps. I try and beat the time I sent on the sim in the car and increasingly I can’t :twisted:

Assetto Corsa has more accurate tracks and they are in fine detail. Silverstone is perfect as far as I can see. I use a Mazda MX5 Cup. The lap times are slightly quicker than the fun cup at Zandvoort; it is a lot quicker down the straight. It is very realistic. Ian Payne uses Assetto Corsa on his drop dead sim with VCR and motion, which is very good. I have tried it with a Caterham Graduate and it is very realistic (and they wrote the car sim).

All that said the best sim for me is Dirt Rally :shock: :D All that is missing is the fear :? :?

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Oh and yes I have a wheel and pedals but use flappy paddles to change gear. I have a seat out of my Westfield but use a Ikea seat more often than not. David T has a gear change on his and a chair. Ian’s is setup exactly like a Caterham and has options for wheels and gear shift depending what you are driving. He also has the ability to change the pedal resistance to make it more realistic.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Not quite in the same league, but I got an XBox one for Christmas as there is a TT game. The whole 37 miles is apparently laser scanned and looks very realistic with a proper feel to hills. In sixth at 180mph going through Kirk Michael village it is scarey even in the comfort of your arm chair :o

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 pm

PS4 with Gran Turismo has a good representation of Brands Hatch GP and Indy circuit. In the real world the instructors can tell who’s been gaming because of the driving style and some of the more unorthodox lines taken.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Well won't do it again, as Tony said ,I clipped my sump massive curbs 2lits of oil on track to cars come of and a bike went down ,I was very very lucky,cost me 5k,they didn't clamp of me ,but the ring charged 4k to clean the oil up ,a bloody night mare ,thankfully Tony helped me to sort the mess out with the ring people, not nice people,

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:29 am

Still got a bit of jet lag so looked up a bit of video of a kit car on the Ring :shock: the sound is brilliant and he is giving it some beans :D :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZ3Rbhui7c

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”