Nurburgring

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Re: Nurburgring

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:45 am

The Ring Taxi is something else, highly recommended.

I'm not trying to put anyone off going to the Ring, it is an awesome place but is now a victim of its own success. If it is a bucket list thing, get a Suzuki from Rent4Ring, do 4 or 6 laps and then you can say you've been (and it will only cost 800 Euros or so).

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 am

Gawd, that's depressing - i had no immediate plans to go there but it was on the bucket list for one day.

I realised you risked damage to your own car, fair enough, but i assumed that your lap fee paid for recovery etc and other drivers also just accepted damage as the nature of being on track. I guess they're trying to scare off nutters with knackered old Saxo's who don't care about their car, maybe?

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am

No, they are not trying to scare off anyone. It is their business model. 25 Euros per lap for a single lap ticket as well.

Remember it is not a 'track' under German Law during Tourist driving, it is a one way toll road (even has speed limits in places). German road traffic laws apply, only overtake on the left etc etc. The German Police can and do prosecute drivers.

Years ago we were there and a new UK BMW M3 turned up with a UK number in the style of a German Number plate. The Police on the entrance to the Ring took exception to this as the number didn't come back as German and seized the car as running false plates and arrested the driver. He had to get his UK plates couriered across and his registration docs before they would allow him to get the car back. No sense of humour the German Police.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 am

Recovery off the Ring can run to several hundred Euros as well

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:36 am

Here is a full list of the potential cost of damaging and or closing the Nurburgring:

BASE FEE FOR ATTENDANCE OF ARMCO TRUCK – €150
REMOVING DAMAGED ARMCO – €10/METRE (X2 OR X3 OR X4 FOR MULTIPLE-HEIGHT SECTIONS)
REPLACEMENT ARMCO – €31/METRE (X2 OR X3 FOR DOUBLE/TRIPLE HEIGHT)
REMOVING DAMAGED ARMCO POSTS – €5.10 EACH
REPLACING ARMCO POST – €39 EACH
SAFETY CAR ATTENDANCE – €82 PER 30 MINS (CAR AND TWO PEOPLE)
CIRCUIT CLOSURE FROM – €1,350 PER HOUR
RECOVERY TRUCK FROM – €600 (INC VAT)

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-nurburgrin ... JTOI2yo23A

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am

jeffw wrote:Recovery off the Ring can run to several hundred Euros as well

exactly

having been with someone who had a similar oil mishap as Jeff has described I can confirm the total bill was several thousand pounds before he even started to look at getting his own car back

mind you, the upside - the ride in the police car after his arrest for the final 8 miles (ish) of the ring, including the carousel was probably better than the ring taxi!!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:41 am

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:43 am

You use to be able to get ADAC (equivalent to the AA) membership and they would recover off the Ring and transport the car back to UK for not a lot of money. That isn't possible now as far as I'm aware.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 am

Last points
Don't try and keep up with the faster cars, especially German plated tatty Golfs or BMWs. They know the track and you will crash trying to keep up.

The normal place to crash is Adenauer Forst for new comers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcW0xuO1snM

Don't go out when it is raining or wet, the place is lethal when wet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0QL_LkDDM

Pretty normal Tourist Session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWveB_3pYU

Enjoy :)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:02 am

I have read the horror stories on Pistonheads, and definitely wouldn't do one of their open for all days. The ridiculous range of circuit knowledge and vehicle performance will inevitably lead to accidents.

As a first time driver, I suspect I would spend more time looking in the mirror watching for approaching bikes and 911s (doing more than twice my speed) than looking forwards, so I can't imagine it would be much fun :(

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”