Moderator: Contaminated

jeffw

Re: Nurburgring

Postby jeffw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:20 am

Dario knows how to drive ....

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:15 am

I’ve heard absolute horror stories about the cost of getting it wrong. Mostly from Tony B over breakfast!

My neighbour was due to go a few weeks back but the potential cost put him off in the end. It was a good decision in the end as one of the party that he was going with chucked his Porchse up the road and took out god knows what else.

I do fancy it but as Duncan said I’d spend a lot of time looking in my mirrors and stressing about what’s behind and where do I go next. Silverstone GP circuit was bad enough before tuition and that’s a fraction of the distance.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 am

leegav

Postby leegav » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 am

strangely.... ive never ever fancied it. it doesnt float my boat for some reason.
probably due to the large amount of dross that que at calais asking if im going to "The Ring" whilst in my seven..
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

nero1701

Postby nero1701 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:19 pm

I went to the ring in 2008/2009, I went in a supercharged Golf vr6, 220 ish bhp,

Lived in Bromley at the time, Driving down to the ferry, I'm sure i'd felt something give, car felt a little loose and didn't feel right..Stopped, spent an hour looking round the car and couldn't find a single thing wrong.

So done the few hundred miles out, car felt fine, sat at 80-90 mph whole way out.

I was actually quite nervous about driving so I waited until the Sunday morning when it was slightly quieter, went on track, took my time. Only car that didnt overtake me was the body lifted monster truck that was having a laugh, As i went round the carousel, I heard a large bang and the front of the car went light, I slowed and limped myself the remainder of the way round the track.

I was with a few 'mates', back at the campsite, jacked the car up, couldn't find anything wrong, however, I decided not to go back on the track...This decision i'm sure saved my life!!

Drove the car home and the car felt like it was bouncing at the front, turns out that the front subframe chassis mount had snapped , one half was still attached to the car and the other while it still looked attached, wasn't...bout 3 miles from home, the part that had held on snapped and my whole subframe dropped on one side.

Guess the moral is, make sure that the car you're driving is up for it, the ring is a harsh track and it abuses your car!!
My greatest fear is my wife selling my car parts when I die for what I told her they cost

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Good story and confirms. I am not up for it :lol: :lol:

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm

leegav wrote:strangely.... ive never ever fancied it. it doesnt float my boat for some reason.
probably due to the large amount of dross that que at calais asking if im going to "The Ring" whilst in my seven..

And the chavs that go in their Corsa’s to get that stupid bloody sticker or not in the majority of cases.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”